White Trash

That's terrible. A friend of my wife was seriously hurt a week ago due to a teenage girl yapping on her phone. The girl crossed the double yellow and hit her head on. She's had three or four surgeries, lost a 20 week pregnancy, and was just moved out of ICU.

The teenager is trying to say a bee flew into her window just before the accident, which is an "Act of God", therefore removing any liability from her. Sounds like someone got a lawyer real quick. Her phone records have been subpoenaed. Georgia does have laws regarding accidents occurring while talking on the phone so I'm fairly confident she'll be charged with something.

The worst part about it? This is nothing new. No one thinks about the tons of explosive metal they're in control of. I see it all. Books, crossword puzzles, make-up, telephones. While one can blame the teenager for the accident, you really have to point the finger at the fact that people generally see no harm in driving with so much distraction.

Now, there is one good thing that did come of this. She's a teacher at a local high school. Now that all of the students have heard what happened, they've stopped talking while driving. Bringing it close to home has shown them that it really can "happen to them."

That's terrible. A friend of my wife was seriously hurt a week ago due to a teenage girl yapping on her phone. The girl crossed the double yellow and hit her head on. She's had three or four surgeries, lost a 20 week pregnancy, and was just moved out of ICU.

The teenager is trying to say a bee flew into her window just before the accident, which is an "Act of God", therefore removing any liability from her. Sounds like someone got a lawyer real quick. Her phone records have been subpoenaed. Georgia does have laws regarding accidents occurring while talking on the phone so I'm fairly confident she'll be charged with something.

The worst part about it? This is nothing new. No one thinks about the tons of explosive metal they're in control of. I see it all. Books, crossword puzzles, make-up, telephones. While one can blame the teenager for the accident, you really have to point the finger at the fact that people generally see no harm in driving with so much distraction.

Now, there is one good thing that did come of this. She's a teacher at a local high school. Now that all of the students have heard what happened, they've stopped talking while driving. Bringing it close to home has shown them that it really can "happen to them."

Wow... Very sad. Wish her the best! My family's prayers go out to her and her family. :doh:

IMO, cars are so cushy now that one is "isolated from the road"... Now don't get me wrong, safety features are great... People would be a little more on "edge" if they had to "feel the road." Most vehicles are "coccoons."

which is why they were trying to push the texting law into place down here for teens only

which is why they were trying to push the texting law into place down here for teens only

There is a good article in today's (Sunday) Sun-Times that I was trying to link... But, for some reason could not link to it. It was a follow-up to the nail polishing accident. It talked about how little distracted driving can be enforced and the limited number of laws on the books. The one's opposing stiffening the distracted driver laws say that they (laws) are difficult to enforce and represent the gov't acting like an overbearing nanny.

What needs to be done? Nothing?

:doh:;)