Tensions high for coaches as possibility of pension plan changes exist

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11715980

When NFL owners voted in late March to allow clubs to opt out of league-run pension, retirement and 401(k) plans for employees and coaches, it didn't seem like a big deal. But it is now that nine teams have notified the league –- and their coaches –- that they intend to break with its policy.

According to a memo circulated Wednesday among the coaches, the teams that will change retirement plans are San Francisco, Arizona, New Orleans, Buffalo, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston and New England.

Each of the teams probably find cheaper deal on their own than the omnibus team negotiated by league.

Is this part of the league trying to save money due to bad NFLPA deal a few years ago? Judge is implying so and I understand how coaches feel - some people in my company have guaranteed pensions and others have cafeteria plans because we got there too late - but there types of economic changes affect almost everyone.

You preface this all by saying "tensions high". Why.... it's basically a change of supplier. The structure is likely to remain intact. However, several teams appear to have co-opped to leverage a provider that costs less to administer and deliver better value. Nothing wrong with that.

You preface this all by saying "tensions high". Why.... it's basically a change of supplier. The structure is likely to remain intact. However, several teams appear to have co-opped to leverage a provider that costs less to administer and deliver better value. Nothing wrong with that.

In the business world that I know, no company has opted out of a guaranteed plan to a cafateria plan because it was good for the employees. Although G.Host's post did not specifically say they are canning the guaranteed plan by going their own way.

Cafateria plans mean employees get less, even though it is spun to make it sound like a good thing.