Michael Gaines Released

Gaines seemed like a positive influence in the lockerroom as well. With Owens in town, Gaines might be a good, calm buffer to keep a guy like TO from getting too hot under the collar and disruptive. I would take him back in a flash.

Exactly - I liked him in his previous stint, he can bring experience at the position to help the younger guys, and his versatility would be great in a 2-TE alignment.... I'd also take him back if he could be had cheaply. Let's face it - TE play was not the Lions biggest problem last year.

I'm all for picking up Gaines if he doesn't get much interest anywhere else. Good blocker with surprisingly good mobility for a guy his size. Never going to be a vertical threat, but he can do more than just fall forward. Even though Royal was the starter, Gaines basically matched his production in 2007:

Player Rec Yds Yds/Rec Long TD

Michael Gaines 25 215 8.6 20 2

Robert Royal 25 248 9.9 28 3

It's always beneficial to a team to have a good blocking TE on the roster, and none of our current guys really qualify. If Gaines made the team, it would have to be at the expense of either Schouman or the fullback. I don't think Schouman sucks, and I like having exactly 1 true fullback on the roster for short yardage, but I'd be fine with Gaines in place of either one. Probably not at $2.5mil a year, though.