So...how will my favorite team let me down this weekend....?

McD

So, here I am sitting here kinda bummed. I used to get excited as hell for the NFL Draft, but over the course of the last few years (read DECADE) I've lost my passion for it. This is a direct result of my team failing to address the most basic of needs for any quality NFL club....failing to draft well up front on both sides of the ball.

On the defensive side of the ball, I understand the need for CB's and all, but really if you have a great pass rush I could play DB for the Bills and make plays. The best DB's in the game will get beat eventually when a QB has time to deliver the ball. LB's who can actually stop the run at the line of scrimmage AND drop into pass protection shouldn't be difficult to figure out either.

On the offensive side of the ball...really, sometimes the best defense is a strong offense (**cough, cough '90 Giants**). You see if you can pound the ball down a teams throat (even when they KNOW you're going to do so) is HUGE! We drafted one guy in a top spot Mike "bust, but tryin' a comeback" Williams and that was it. I mean if we were hitting FA and picking up SOLID O-linemen I could understand, but we don't we keep stocking the O and D lines with rubbish and "tweeners".

Here's my recommendation...stop going cheap, but continue to be frugal; stop going after the "next big thing" that has loads of potential, but no real evidence they can play; stop paying big $$ to "high motor" white guys with very little talent; stop hiring marketing guys to run your football operations and go get some real football guys to run the front office; go find a coach who DEMANDS hard work and execution; stop getting your asses handed in trades; nip this Toronto thing in the bud; beat SOMEONE in the damn division please, preferably all of them AT LEAST once per season; and lastly...stop treating your fans like imbiciles. This fan base is much, much smarter than you give it credit for and we deserve more!

So back to my beginning...do I dare get excited for this weekend, or do I not pay attention to out Draft when we do something silly like trade down away from a great talent, or trade up for a mediocre talent that will ultimately cost us extra picks? Do we continue to reach for "tweeners" and "potential guys"? Ugh...sometimes its too much to take. I guess I'll record it and then watch the carnage unfold. At least then I can fast forward and or delete as I see fit and not waste an entire day only to be let down yet again.

UGH!!!! :thumbsup:

So, here I am sitting here kinda bummed. I used to get excited as hell for the NFL Draft, but over the course of the last few years (read DECADE) I've lost my passion for it. This is a direct result of my team failing to address the most basic of needs for any quality NFL club....failing to draft well up front on both sides of the ball.

On the defensive side of the ball, I understand the need for CB's and all, but really if you have a great pass rush I could play DB for the Bills and make plays. The best DB's in the game will get beat eventually when a QB has time to deliver the ball. LB's who can actually stop the run at the line of scrimmage AND drop into pass protection shouldn't be difficult to figure out either.

On the offensive side of the ball...really, sometimes the best defense is a strong offense (**cough, cough '90 Giants**). You see if you can pound the ball down a teams throat (even when they KNOW you're going to do so) is HUGE! We drafted one guy in a top spot Mike "bust, but tryin' a comeback" Williams and that was it. I mean if we were hitting FA and picking up SOLID O-linemen I could understand, but we don't we keep stocking the O and D lines with rubbish and "tweeners".

Here's my recommendation...stop going cheap, but continue to be frugal; stop going after the "next big thing" that has loads of potential, but no real evidence they can play; stop paying big $$ to "high motor" white guys with very little talent; stop hiring marketing guys to run your football operations and go get some real football guys to run the front office; go find a coach who DEMANDS hard work and execution; stop getting your asses handed in trades; nip this Toronto thing in the bud; beat SOMEONE in the damn division please, preferably all of them AT LEAST once per season; and lastly...stop treating your fans like imbiciles. This fan base is much, much smarter than you give it credit for and we deserve more!

So back to my beginning...do I dare get excited for this weekend, or do I not pay attention to out Draft when we do something silly like trade down away from a great talent, or trade up for a mediocre talent that will ultimately cost us extra picks? Do we continue to reach for "tweeners" and "potential guys"? Ugh...sometimes its too much to take. I guess I'll record it and then watch the carnage unfold. At least then I can fast forward and or delete as I see fit and not waste an entire day only to be let down yet again.

UGH!!!! :thumbsup:

PUNCH!!

It is a weekend of potential and promise. Hopefully the front office has more hits than misses - the positions that need to be addressed seem more obvious than past years. As for the coaching staff and the Toronto situation, it is what it is I guess. Gotta stay positive.

C'mon gents let's be real...of course the POTENTIAL of this weekend is there, but they'll do something drastic and fail to address the real issues of this team.

I want (for once) to be amazed with a draft that hits all of our areas of concern. Go in with a plan and stick to it as best as possible. Hopefully the plan actually fills our needs, instead of selecting guys that don't. Do we need a RB on day 1? no, so don't draft one. Do we need a DB on day 1...eh, not so much, so don't draft one. We need playmakers on the lines. Go get 'em OBD. You all know this is true, don't take it laying down anymore!

I guess we'll see how it plays out. Ideally for me if we can trade back down to around 20 and get an additional 2nd or 3rd, I'd do it, but again it's what you can do with those additional picks...it's about evaluating talent and fitting the right peices in the right spaces. We haven't done that very well (it's been mediocre at best) lately.