PFT: A Draft Trend - does it really work?

I am a big fan of PFT as a source for constant nfl news, and I saw a segment on there today that puzzled me. It was about the teams in the top 10 in the draft this year all wanting to move out, because, the consensus opinion among teams and draft experts alike is that the talent in this years draft is so level or abundant that a team can get a very close approximation of talent at a position at the end of round one as in the beginning, and therefore don't want to spend the extra tens of millions of dollars for a comparable player for that much less. They'd rather pay a ton less for just a little less talented player. Everyone agreed it made sense.

My question is does this initial contract and it's monetary worth really mean anything, when, for instance, if you ended up with the best linebacker, or DE, in the end of round one or later, and saved all that money, and after a year or two of exceptional play the player holds out for a contract that is equal to or greater than the highest paid at his position. Then getting a steal or a sleeper in the draft ends up costing big anyway. You might get a year or two of less, but to keep him you've got to pay up... I guess that draft strategy only really insures you more against a bust.

I know these guys deserve what they can get, but I think they need to really stick to their contracts. Be sure you want to do it before you sign up. As it is now, a team is hard pressed to keep a roster of great players, as they will all want to be paid like their great.

The problem isn't the later picks making more money later, the problem is drafting a guy high who turns out to be a bust and a total waste of money.

exactly right

I would agree with people who say there is no sure thing franchise type players - more like 15 really really good players then about 25 really good players, and about 40 pretty good players- the only two players who were in the top ten every mock were Jason Smith, and Eugene Monroe- Curry was out of the top ten just once.

exactly right

I would agree with people who say there is no sure thing franchise type players - more like 15 really really good players then about 25 really good players, and about 40 pretty good players- the only two players who were in the top ten every mock were Jason Smith, and Eugene Monroe- Curry was out of the top ten just once.

You sound like you would like this site.

Hopefully it gets updated once more before the draft, but he looked at 101 mocks and averaged out each players position.