OT- 1 in 10 18-22 year olds

theesir

I don't even care who they WOULD have voted for, but 1 in 10!!!! This is absolutly pathetic!.

With a war on terror being waged and military force that may have to start dipping into their demographic for "volunteers", there weren't more than 10% that cared enough to cast a vote.

I think the 90% who couldn't be bothered to vote should be the first one conscripted if the time should eventually come. <_<

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

P Diddy said he was happy with the results he got from his campaign to get the youth to vote.

98856[/snapback]

They REGISTERED voters in record numbers, but the dolt youth of today couldn;t seem to figure out that going to a P-Diddy rally and signing your name doesn't count as voting.

Maybe MTV needs to do a Real World Iraq or Real World Afghanastan and wake this generation of kids up!

I'm embarassed to say it, but my sister, 21, was one of the kids who didn't bother to vote. :D My parents tried to change her mind, but she said, "I don't care who wins, they both suck." Then get out there and vote for a third party candidate, sheesh...

Sad, sad, sad... :(

CW

Guest Guest_Coach_Tuesday

Maybe they realized that there wasn't a meaningful choice among the two "main" candidates. YOU get out of here if you're not happy with that - don't blame the youth, they realize that neither of these idiots will protect their paychecks from huge taxes (that mainly go DIRECTLY to old people), and that neither of these candidates will reduce the cost of higher education, and that neither of these idiots will do anything to ensure that by the time this generation retires there will be any social security left (there won't). I don't blame them - I voted Libertarian, but the difference between that and not voting is statistically insignificant. Until we're provided with a real, meaningful choice I can't blame people for not voting. This country and its media is obsessed with the Republicans-versus-Democrats as if it's a sporting match - the media magnifies the minor differences between the two sides... really there is no difference at all anymore. They both support huge government, high taxes, record defecits, and UNLIMITED GIFTS TO OLD PEOPLE. Lay off the youths, it's not their fault.

"I don't care who wins, they both suck."

Yo Fez... she ain't alone re: her sentiments. I think that probably the majority of voters feel much the same... we were reduced to voting for the one that would least likely screw things up more than they already are. It's sad when there's not a presidential candidate that you actually like.

I'm embarassed to say it, but my sister, 21, was one of the kids who didn't bother to vote. :D  My parents tried to change her mind, but she said, "I don't care who wins, they both suck."  Then get out there and vote for a third party candidate, sheesh...

Sad, sad, sad... :(

CW

98901[/snapback]

I have been complaining, along with a multitude of others, that this generation of young people has been hammered with a "there are no consequenses to your actions" mentaility throughout their teens. The media preaches this to them in the ads they run and the television programming that is marketed to them. THis generation has been raised by the television and after years of telling them not to care about what adults think, they (MTV and the like) try in a couple of months to convince them how imortant it is to be involved. Didn't work!!

Oh well, lets go get our belly buttons pierced and push a shopping cart in front of a moving car. It'll be cool, I saw it on television.

Guest Guest_Coach_Tuesday
I have been complaining, along with a multitude of others, that this generation of young people has been hammered with a "there are no consequenses to your actions" mentaility throughout their teens. The media preaches this to them in the ads they run and the television programming that is marketed to them. THis generation has been raised by the television and after years of telling them not to care about what adults think, they (MTV and the like) try in a couple of months to convince them how imortant it is to be involved. Didn't work!!

Oh well, lets go get our belly buttons pierced and push a shopping cart in front of a moving car. It'll be cool, I saw it on television.

98933[/snapback]

Um, nice try. This generation is far more sophisticated and intelligent than you give them credit for - they realize that both parties nominated total buffoons and that there's no real choice. Oh, and by the way, voter turnout among this generation is HIGHER than in previous elections - so there goes your theory.

Lay off the youths, it's not their fault.

98926[/snapback]

As I was typing a post about todays youth being taught by the media that they need not take responsibility for their actions, this is what gets posted.... NICE!!!!

If these 9 in 10 had bothered to vote they may have learned that there were OTHER things to vote for beyond the presidency..

Maybe I can explain. There are 3 branches of government....... Never mind. Get back to your X-Box. :D

Even if you do not like the candidates you have to vote. That is what this country is founded on. Write in a vote for no one! Make a statement.

This country has been divided between the kerry loving idiots who thought he would make a difference and the Bush people who thought he would make a difference.

To be honest I voted for the lesser of 2 evils in Bush. My main concern are my taxes , if I were to lose the tax breaks I received last year I could not afford to feed my kids!!

Although Kerry claimed all the tax breaks were for the wealthy he was wrong. I am by no means wealthy and Bush's tax cuts helped me survive.

In another note my NC state taxes are higher than they ever were in NY..Whats that tell you..Edwards..

As I was typing a post about todays youth being taught by the media that they need not take responsibility for their actions, this is what gets posted.... NICE!!!!

If these 9 in 10 had bothered to vote they may have learned that there were OTHER things to vote for beyond the presidency..

Maybe I can explain. There are 3 branches of government....... Never mind. Get back to your X-Box. :D

98950[/snapback]

You're dead nuts accurate. Like Paco said....maybe if they allowed text messaging or an American Idol format the outcome may have been different.

interesting.  I guess it makes it even more meaninful for me that my 18 yr. old daughter voted... and she was actually excited about it... even got  up early this morning and scoped out cnn.com to see what was going on.

98915[/snapback]

I'm glad to hear this. Perhaps your daughter, who seems like an intelligent and responsible girl will be able to convince some of her contemporaries that voting is a right and responsibilty. Good for you and your family Dee Ray.

I ran into one of my professors in the hall way and he asked me if I have voted. I laughed and said ofcourse I'm going to vote. He smile and said, "I should have known, you're a veteran. But you'd be surprised how many of my students said they aren't going to vote today". I just shook my head and went on my way.

I ran into one of my professors in the hall way and he asked me if I have voted.  I laughed and said ofcourse I'm going to vote.  He smile and said, "I should have known, you're a veteran.  But you'd be surprised how many of my students said they aren't going to vote today".  I just shook my head and went on my way.

98964[/snapback]

I didn't support Bush, but I voted and I want to say detox I appreciate your service to your country. You are committed enough to your country to not only vote, but put your life on the line for it.

It makes the point of view of those who say "there was no good choice so I didn't bother" even look more pathetic.

Maybe they realized that there wasn't a meaningful choice among the two "main" candidates.  YOU get out of here if you're not happy with that - don't blame the youth, they realize that neither of these idiots will protect their paychecks from huge taxes (that mainly go DIRECTLY to old people), and that neither of these candidates will reduce the cost of higher education, and that neither of these idiots will do anything to ensure that by the time this generation retires there will be any social security left (there won't).

Then they should get out and vote for one of the other candidates. You say that's throwing away your vote? I lived in Minnesota when Jesse Ventura was elected governor. If all of the people who hate the two "main" candidates voted for other candidates, they could really open up some eyes, if not win a few states.

CW

Um, nice try. This generation is far more sophisticated and intelligent than you give them credit for - they realize that both parties nominated total buffoons and that there's no real choice. Oh, and by the way, voter turnout among this generation is HIGHER than in previous elections - so there goes your theory.

I'll respectfully disagree with your assessment of this generation. While I certainly agree that there is perhaps 20% of this generation that falls into your assessment, more than half of them are totally clueless... other than presidential candidates, they couldn't tell you who Tom Daschle, Ted Kennedy, Rick Santorum, or John McCain is. Ask them to show you where Iowa is on a US map, or ask them to show you whre Iraq is on a globe... no way. This generation is more interested in getting the correct tatoo, piercings, MTV, what designer clothes to get, what car or things makes me look better than everyone else... or at least as good, and taping the next episode of road rules than anything else. And the thing that toasts me even more is that it's my generation of people that produced and parented most of them.

I don't even care who they WOULD have voted for, but 1 in 10!!!! This is absolutly pathetic!.

With a war on terror being waged and military force that may have to start dipping into their demographic for "volunteers", there weren't more than 10% that cared enough to cast a vote.

I think the 90% who couldn't be bothered to vote should be the first one conscripted if the time should eventually come. :D

98854[/snapback]

And this is a voter base that the Democrats have always depended on. The huge turnout this year can be attributed to the Republicans for getting out their people to vote for their guy!

while some of you are bashing children...

my eight year old daughter sat and watch about a half an hour of the coverage with me last night.

She had a vote at school yesterday and 2 out of the 18 kids in her class voted for Kerry.

She was one of them. She told me that people were making fun of her because she voted for Kerry and that she was a traitor and she didn't know what she was talking about.

I asked her what she said in response and she replied "I didn't bother daddy because they were just following the crowd."

My wife and I often have discussions about politics around the house and it obviously caught up with my daughter how important this election was in our eyes. She asked me twice yesterday what year she would be able to vote.

So from my experience, if bring it around your children they will tend to see the importance of it. If you don't talk to them or around them they will only see the world through the eyes of the TV.