Reward or Potential?

Magox

Reward or Potential?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe that good NFL teams pay players based on reward of good play or potential?

• Reward
    • Potential

Rookies are paid on potential, but that potential is usually tied to how they played in College, so it can also be looked at as a reward. But, many college players are fantastic in college, but don't get a big contract, because they are seen as having little potential. So, for new players, potential is the real driver.

Once you get to the NFL, it is a combo. You get a big sloppy contract based on what you have done, so it is reward (if you want to look at it that way). OTOH, if you are old, and have few years left, recently injured, etc, the reward will be less...because the potential to keep contributing at a high level is less likely. So, for established players it is a combination of the two, but reward is probably the bigger driver.

I don't particularly like this question. If there is any NFL team that is not looking at both aspects & only looking at one, they are retards :censored: .

I agree. I suppose what I am trying to find out is which do you value more?

I mean really, every team pays its players for potential. You don't get paid for what you did last year, you get paid for what you're going to do during your contract. There's no reason to sign a guy to a contract to reward him for the past few seasons, it's to secure his services for the next.