Kelsay ... Ed Block Courage Award ... What?

ChasBB

What a politician this guy Kelsay must be to be getting awards like this. What the hell *is* the Ed Block Courage Award, anyhow?

Well, the article (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/kelsay-receives-ed-block-courage-award/8d1d0474-843f-4be0-ba51-d386f3856d8d) says this:

"The Ed Block Courage Award is presented to the Bills player who exemplifies a commitment to the principles of sportsmanship and courage. The recipient symbolizes professionalism, great strength, dedication and serves as a community role model for others."

We have NO legit DE's on this team, folks -- NONE. I'm so tired of guys like this winning these types of awards. If you want to give the guy a community service award, then fine -- give him a community service award, but cut the crap about "great strength", "courage", etc.

I guess he does have courage to step on the field and know he's going to get steamrolled every Sunday by bigger and better offensive linemen.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the f*ck guys...seriously, what the f*ck is wrong with you people? This award clearly has NOTHING to do with achievements on the field, it is just a reflection of Kelsay as an excellent human being. If you know anything about the guy, you know that he is an upstanding member of the community, he's one of the team's emotional leaders, and he plays the game of football the right way, even if he's been lacking in success.

I am getting so tired of the hate mongering around here. The dude wins an award for being a great guy and this is what he gets...

"The Ed Block Courage Award is presented to the Bills player who exemplifies a commitment to the principles of sportsmanship and courage. The recipient symbolizes professionalism, great strength, dedication and serves as a community role model for others."

LOL.

What a politician this guy Kelsay must be to be getting awards like this. What the hell *is* the Ed Block Courage Award, anyhow?

Well, the article (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/kelsay-receives-ed-block-courage-award/8d1d0474-843f-4be0-ba51-d386f3856d8d) says this:

We have NO legit DE's on this team, folks -- NONE. I'm so tired of guys like this winning these types of awards. If you want to give the guy a community service award, then fine -- give him a community service award, but cut the crap about "great strength", "courage", etc.

I guess he does have courage to step on the field and know he's going to get steamrolled every Sunday by bigger and better offensive linemen.

DUDE WE SIGNED T.O. NONE OF THIS MATTERS ANYMORE :ph34r:

Buffalo Bills Ed Block Courage Award past winners 1984 – 2007

1984 – Steve Freeman

1985 – Jerry Butler

1986 – Lucius Sanford

1987 – Robb Riddick

1988 – Tim Voger

1989 – Steve Tasker

1990 – Darryl Talley

1991 – Mark Kelso

1992 – Bruce Smith

1993 – John Davis

1994 – Kent Hull

1995 – Jim Kelly

1996 – Mark Maddox

1997 – Henry Jones

1998 – John Holecek

1999 – Sean Moran

2000 – Joe Panos

2001 – Jerry Ostroski

2002 – Tony Driver

2003 – Pat Williams

2004 – Travis Henry

2005 – Mark Campbell

2006 – Takeo Spikes

2007 – Kevin Everett

Alright, that just ends the legitimacy of this award. Kelsay is in good company here.

What the f*ck guys...seriously, what the f*ck is wrong with you people? This award clearly has NOTHING to do with achievements on the field, it is just a reflection of Kelsay as an excellent human being. If you know anything about the guy, you know that he is an upstanding member of the community, he's one of the team's emotional leaders, and he plays the game of football the right way, even if he's been lacking in success.

I am getting so tired of the hate mongering around here. The dude wins an award for being a great guy and this is what he gets...

Can you believe the a$$holes on this board?

Neither of us was talking about Henry, we were talking about Kelsay. But nice try with the straw man.

For the record, you were the one who said "this award clearly has NOTHING to do with achievements on the field," which explains why guys like Travis Henry win it. Then again, in 2004 he only had about 5 kids, I'm guessing.

Kelsay isn't good enough to justify what he makes. He has admitted he's not the guy who will tally up sacks, but rather the guy who stops the run. Are you really that upset that people can't stand the fact that this guy wins awards off the field when he makes enough money to justify some awards for on the field play? He's a good guy (like we even know), I'm sure, but he's not good enough on the field and will likely be replaced by a draft pick (all of this talk about drafting a defensive end, surely that means our beloved 9 million dollar defensive end Aaron Schobel won't be replaced). And that is why this award is so funny.

They should have just given it to Derek Schouman and it would have meant the same.

Look Sage,

I hope that most of the people who post here understand that he's a fine person. That issue shouldn't be confused with his play on the field. Unfortunately around here it seems that a lot of people have personal vendettas against some of the Buffalo Bills. There are members of the team who are whipping boys for the ugly masses. As I've said here many times, people who criticize others are saying a lot more about themselves than the person they are criticizing.

Poking a little fun at someone is one thing. Calling someone a piece of sh*t is a whole different thing.

Hopefully those people who hate on others are a vocal minority. If they are not it paints a very ugly picture of the society in which we live. All that can be done is to take the high road and hope others do too.

No disrespect, but we need great PLAYERS. I'm sure Kelsay is a fine person and all of that, but I really want the Bills to win a Super Bowl and the DE position is critical to that happening and we're not in good shape at this position -- not at all. And if Travis Henry won this award (thanks Steve_JOHNSONS_hair for finding that!), what the hell does it really mean? Guys got to produce ON THE FIELD -- that's all I'm saying. Tired of these feel-good BS awards. First job is to be productive on the field, second job is to be an upstanding citizen, blah, blah.

Oh, and guys who don't earn what they make cannot be emotional leaders. Oh, they can try, but the best leadership is by example on the field. It's difficult for the guys playing next to him to not compare their relative contributions to the defense and their relative pay to his. Course, this is going to happen no matter what, but guys that earn big bucks like that MUST produce (Dockery, case in point -- he's gone now). Yeah, he's adequate (at times) against the run perhaps, but we've GOT to have guys that get to the opposing QB consistently.