Help me see the wisdom please

Buffalo Wing

Ok, I need someone to pull me off the ledge this morning. Here's how I see it:

(1) The two free agents that the FO seemed to be most excited about - Fred Taylor and Lavvy Coles - were NOT even available until the last week when their respective teams released them. These guys got added to the original "shopping list" at the last minute - what the heck did the original list look like? - oh wait, read #2 below...

(2) Taking those two players out of the mix, the other players that the FO has brought around to kick the tires out of the free agent gates are some special teams players (i.e., Kelly Washington, Drayton Florence) and a back-up quarterback (Ryan Fitzpatrick). Are you kidding me?

(3) The next group of players that the FO is bringing through the doors at OBD include an offensive lineman coming off a significant injury (Kendall Simmons) and a back-up offensive lineman (Geoff Hangnail) that some people are excited about because he used to have to block Kris Jenkins in practice. Are you kidding me?

(4) While I was trying to get excited about this team, I see reports that Jason Brown (the ideal offensive lineman in this year's class for handling the nose tackle in a 3-4 defense) and Brandon Moore (a very solid starting offensive lineman that played within our division) were signed/resigned! Are you kidding me?

I'm sorry to be a Negative Nancy on the start of a weekend, but c'mon now, this is getting ridiculous! Say what you want about the FO being patient and following the models of success of other organizations that are patient....and blah, blah, blah.....but we no longer have the track record to be patient! This team is FAR from being a final landing spot for free agents. Time to get aggressive gentlemen! Send John Guy back down to Tim Horton's to complain that they were given decaf coffee yesterday. :w00t:

(3) The next group of players that the FO is bringing through the doors at OBD include an offensive lineman coming off a significant injury (Kendall Simmons) and a back-up offensive lineman (Geoff Hangnail) that some people are excited about because he used to have to block Kris Jenkins in practice. Are you kidding me?

Kendall Simmons also happens to be a former 1st round pick who started 80 games over the first 7 seasons of his career for a consistently good Steelers offensive line.

Kendall Simmons also happens to be a former 1st round pick who started 80 games over the first 7 seasons of his career for a consistently good Steelers offensive line.

A chance to get even with a post of mine you replied to. A consitent o-line for the Steelers? Who are you kidding? If it wasn't for Big Ben's mobility he'd had been sacked 100 times instead of 50. And a guy who misses 3 games a year average due to injury will help build consistency along a o-line. Thanks but no thanks.

A chance to get even with a post of mine you replied to. A consitent o-line for the Steelers? Who are you kidding? If it wasn't for Big Ben's mobility he'd had been sacked 100 times instead of 50. And a guy who misses 3 games a year average due to injury will help build consistency along a o-line. Thanks but no thanks.

I trust you're only referencing 2008, a season in which Simmons only played 4 games before falling to the achilles injury and being replace by an undrafted rookie.

When I said the Steelers' line has been consistently good, I meant they've been such over the duration of Simmons' 7-year career.

IMHO ...... our main targets at the begining of FA were not Taylor or Coles .... they are afterthoughts to fill percieved holes with what the FO feel are upgrades that could have just "fallen onto our laps".

I feel the philosophy of the "brain trust" (and I use the term loosely) from the get go is that we don't need a center or a guard or a DT or a DE or a TE but that we need a Center AND a guard AND a DT AND a DE AND a TE and the intention all along was to not blow their wad on obtaining a single "superstar" to fill one hole, but to pick up a handfull of second tier FAs to upgrade a handfull of positions.

On reflection I must agree ...... adding just one piece of the puzzle will not acomplish anything other than to waste money because we have so many pieces missing ..... we are going to suck weather we have a 100 million dollar DT or not, but just maybe we won't suck as bad if we have a better player in all or most of the aforementioned positions, and next year we will have fewer holes to fill. I'm as tired as the rest of Bills nation to think we are STILL 3 or 4 years away from being a contender ...... but the fact of the matter is ........... we are.