Tight Ends At Combine

Trader

:D

Link

It appears that Jared Cook outdid Pettigrew on most of the drills, which doesn't mean much. The only one I put much stock in is the vertical leap. It's a big part of receiving in the endzone. JMO.

Cook led all TE's with a 41.0" which is 5" more than the next best of 36".

At this point looking at everything I'd rather have Cook and that's based on more than just stats.

BTW, this is from the Tim Graham article.

Bills coach Dick Jauron on Thursday noted how receiving tight ends still can curtail defensive penetration because of their threat in the passing game.

"Given some degree of blocking proficiency, the better receiver you are the better blocker it makes you because the defense is busy defending you all the time," Jauron said. "They're defending you in the run game because they fear you in the pass game.

"If he's got some kind of blocking ability and he's a really good pass receiver, it'll make him a better blocker. They're worried about him escaping and getting down the field."

BTW, this is from the Tim Graham article.

Bills coach Dick Jauron on Thursday noted how receiving tight ends still can curtail defensive penetration because of their threat in the passing game.

"Given some degree of blocking proficiency, the better receiver you are the better blocker it makes you because the defense is busy defending you all the time," Jauron said. "They're defending you in the run game because they fear you in the pass game.

"If he's got some kind of blocking ability and he's a really good pass receiver, it'll make him a better blocker. They're worried about him escaping and getting down the field."

Holy shoot! Dick Jauron has an actual opinion on something!...It makes a little sense. First thing that has come out of his mouth in a long time that hasn't made me wanna smash his face in with a crowbar.

Shawn Nelson ran a 4.53 :beer:

Anyone know much about Nelson. he looks impressive. We need a TE who is a receiving threat, not a blocking stud.

Pettigrew doesn't look like a #11 pick to me. Not saying any of them do, but I'd be interested in Nelson later. Gronkowski also looks interesting.

Anyone know much about Nelson. he looks impressive. We need a TE who is a receiving threat, not a blocking stud.

Pettigrew doesn't look like a #11 pick to me. Not saying any of them do, but I'd be interested in Nelson later. Gronkowski also looks interesting.

Jared Cook as well!

good comment on Pettigrew from footballsfuture.com:

Brandon Pettigrew, this year’s consensus number one tight end, needed three runs to affirm himself as a 4.8 athlete. More alarming then his slow time, which was almost expected, was his sluggish starts in all of his 40 yard dashes. It didn’t really seem as if he had a great technique for the 40. This could mean two things. For one, he’s a much faster athlete on the field and runs precise routes, so this shouldn’t be a mark against his abilities in the passing game. Secondly, teams in the second half of the first round must really have enjoyed his performance. If they’re confident in what they see on the game tape, they’re hoping this 40 yard dash could slide him into their laps. Don’t count on him lasting past pick 20 because not too many people were expecting 4.6’s out of him and they still loved him.