Reminder: USA vs. Mexico World Cup Qualifier

PTS

Columbus is still as conservative as ever. However, it is interesting to see how the locals have taken to the NHL Blue Jackets and the Crew. The rivalry between US and Mexico is intense. When they have games in the Southwest it isn't uncommon for the crowd to be mostly Mexican.

PTS: Thanks for the reminder, bro!

Beerball: I started playing when I was five years old, and played competitively for over ten years. The sport is part of who I am, and I have always loved it. It's probably the only sport where I could have no idea what teams were playing or who any of the players were, yet still sit there and thoroughly enjoy the match. When you consider the scope of the game and the impact it has on the world, it can honestly be like an addiction, particularly during world cup time. If I can't get myself to South Africa next year, I'm going to literally try and take a month off of work to watch the matches.

Well, I have to say I'm relatively happy with the performance tonight. All of a sudden they've stopped clumping up around the ball like a peewee team and are actually achieving effective ball movement like big boys. They set up opportunities for one another, anticipated well, took a variety of shots (Bradley is the MAN!), and played more aggressively. Aside from Clint Dempsey's new weave, not much to dislike about this effort.

Always good to beat the Mexicans.

Classic example of a player not hustling possibly costing his team the game. On the play where the Mexicans almost scored and then got the red card, the guy who slid in on the right side of the goal as he passed across the crease laid on the ground (apparently assuming the other guy was going to score) rather than getting up. As it happens the other guy returned the ball across the crease and hit the far post....inches from the foot of the guy still laying on the ground. Had he gotten up there's no way he misses putting the ball in for the tying goal.

Fun game to watch. I like the offensive style the U.S. went with (Donovan, Ching, Dempsey, Beasley, Kljestan all out there at the same time).

Bradley had a dream game. Besides scoring both goals, he was consistently playing well in the middle of the field, delivering great balls forward.

Mexico looked like chumps to me. They created a couple of nice chances, but did not play as well as I expected. That red card was deserved--that was a dirty challenge against Howard. Mexico seems to be going in a bad direction lately. I would not be surprised to see a similar result when these teams meet again in August in Mexico City.