Do we have ANY keepers?

bananathumb

If I were GM of the Bills (since there is none), I would try to upgrade at almost EVERY position next year, the exceptions being CB, RB and Punter.

That leaves 18 positions, if you count kicker, that need upgrades.

I would worry least about these guys, as they are either a little above average or have shown potential:

Evans, Reed, Stroud, Schobel (if he recovers fully), Edwards, Dockery and Walker.

A few others are average and you might win around them:

Mitchell, Poz, Lindell, Scott, Butler

The others are too soft and need to be cut or dropped into backup roles:

Kelsay, Williams, Whitner, Simpson, Hardy, Preston, Ellison and any fullback still on the roster. That is eight starters that need replacing, a mighty task to be sure, but if they are still around next year, we won't win.

Peters is a special case, or should I say, head case, and needs to be traded, which shouldn't be too difficult, considering he is a "Pro Bowler". Right?

No wonder we don't have a GM. It's an impossible job!

If I were GM of the Bills (since there is none), I would try to upgrade at almost EVERY position next year, the exceptions being CB, RB and Punter.

I would worry least about these guys, as they are either a little above average or have shown potential:

Evans, Reed, Stroud, Schobel (if he recovers fully), Edwards, Dockery and Walker.

Kelsay, Williams, Whitner, Simpson, Hardy, Preston, Ellison and any fullback still on the roster. That is eight starters that need replacing, a mighty task to be sure, but if they are still around next year, we won't win.

Peters is a special case, or should I say, head case, and needs to be traded, which shouldn't be too difficult, considering he is a "Pro Bowler". Right?

Donte Whitner needs replacing now? Just because he hasn't had the impact of a Top 20 overall pick safety in the mold of a Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu doesn't mean that he needs to be replaced at this juncture. The KID is still only going to just recently 24 when the season starts, and he has been at least a solid part of the defense the last couple of years, and by all accounts a very good leader. If he is utilized better, he could be a very, very good safety in this league IMO. Also, Kyle Williams is just fine if he is put in a rotation with 2-3 other defensive tackles. Not saying I want him to start 16 games and play the majority of the snaps, but he was damn good at times last year.

the first thing you need to do is get a life and then a brain. what an absolutly stupid ridiculous post.

Every team can always upgrade every position, since no team has all Pro Bowl starters. But a real GM, as you say, would realize that you cannot turn over 18 starters in an offseason and expect to gain any ground or even find upgrades at all the positions. GMs prioritize, like everyone dealing with limited resources. There are not enough good players total (including the draft) who change teams each offseason to field a full starting lineup, so I don't see why you would even think about turning over 18 players in one offseason.

It makes sense to constantly look for upgrades at every position on the team (as the team says everytime it brings in some street FA for a workout durign the season. The reality is however that you will be lucky to significantly upgrade 2 or 3 positions in one offseason (not saying you won't have more new starters, but just that they won't necessarily be upgrades or impact players in the first year). With that in mind, you have to say: "What positions do we need to upgrade most to win?" and go from there. If the real answer is that the Bills need 18 new starters, then we are !@#$ed and should all root for a new team.

Wow, you really SHOULD be the GM. If I were you, I'd send a letter to the front office and tell them some of your ideas. Start off with the one where you want to cut Whitner.

I guess the question is replace with WHOM? I don't see us replacing anywhere but Gaurd Center Defensive End and Tackle, OLB, and TE I'm giving the QB another year and think we'll be fine if we fill those 5 holes (which is a pretty big order in itself.) I guess we'll fill two in free agency and three in the draft if we're very smart (or lucky...probably more lucky than smart)