Should the U.S. Gov't fund basic scientific reasearch?

BuffaloBill

This is a helluva debate. Im definitely on the side of gov't supported research. NASA alone has a laundry list of stuff we literally use everyday that was developed to help astronauts in space. Velcro anyone? NASA has the patent on that.

The problem with getting public funding, is it always is a state to state issue. If a budget measure passes funding for research, it'll usually be linked to a societal or economic issue relative to that state. However, sometimes you find the public just actually wants to see progress. Texas passed a considerable grant for cancer research a couple years ago, 06 i believe. Texas epitomizes conservative, low-spending philosophy.

I think we should totally reallocate our funding into the space program again, stem cell research, and advance bio-informatics. Those guys are A LOT smarter than me, and a lot smarter than a lot of people in this country. We need to make thinking, researching, intelligence, etcetera, cool in this country. Sure, everyone wants to have their kid grow up and be the next Brady or Montana, but maybe you should push some books on him. Who knows, maybe he'll cure cancer. That's what overbearing sport parents should live vicariously through their children on. Pressure them on something can make a difference. Anyone agree?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic