I think Rian Lindell will not be back next year.

Steely Dan

Rian Lindell  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Will Lindell be on the 53 man roster in 2009?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

They seem to conflict don't they?

Sort of......but that first example didn't imply one way or the other.

From that first link above.....Question 1.7e

For example, if a player signs a four-year deal with a $1 million signing bonus, $250,000 of that bonus will count toward team salary for each contract year ($1 million divided evenly over the four-year contract is $250,000 per year).

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To save us both time on searching the internet for the answer to this definitively, I emailed Chris Brown to see if he can settle this once and for all.

This is what I wrote:

Hey Chris, could you please settle an argument for me. I believe a team can amortize a signing bonus as they see fit. If they know they're going to be way under the cap in the following year they can get rid of that bonus off the books in two years. A friend of mine says they have to amortize it over the life of the contract in an even manner. Can you settle this once and for all. I have a feeling my friend is right. He usually is but, I'd swear that it can be amortized any way the team wants up to and including amortizing over the life of the contract.

Thanks a lot.

To save us both time on searching the internet for the answer to this definitively, I emailed Chris Brown to see if he can settle this once and for all.

This is what I wrote:

Hey Chris, could you please settle an argument for me. I believe a team can amortize a signing bonus as they see fit. If they know they're going to be way under the cap in the following year they can get rid of that bonus off the books in two years. A friend of mine says they have to amortize it over the life of the contract in an even manner. Can you settle this once and for all. I have a feeling my friend is right. He usually is but, I'd swear that it can be amortized any way the team wants up to and including amortizing over the life of the contract.

Thanks a lot.

Cool.....we'll find out from the expert.

I don't want to preempt anything here but......both the links you provided stated that the signing bonus was amortized evenly over the length of the contract. :lol: