I need some advice

bill in Livonia

I am trying to free up some hard drive space. My computer knowledge is limited. My program list has Java updates 2 thru 7 which together use a lot of space. My question is this. Do I need to keep the earlier versions?

I also have adobe reader, does it perform similar tasks as Java?

I would appreciate someone setting me straight or steering me to a site where I might find some help.

Bill

No idea about the Java updates, but I am guessing that "adobe reader" means the PDF software. If so that isn't the same as Java. But again, if it is the adobe reader, you could dump it for Foxit PDF reader, which is free and from what I remember, a much smaller file size than Adobe.

No idea about the Java updates, but I am guessing that "adobe reader" means the PDF software. If so that isn't the same as Java. But again, if it is the adobe reader, you could dump it for Foxit PDF reader, which is free and from what I remember, a much smaller file size than Adobe.

Thanks, I'll look for Foxit.

Thanks, I'll look for Foxit.

As long as you're not creating/dealing with PDf all the time, Foxit is, IMO, definitely worth going to. Works just as well, gets rid of a lot crap from Adobe, and is much faster.

For the Java updates, I get rid of the old updates and have never noticed anything wrong form doing so. I'm not a "computer person" though, so I'm sure someone can give you a more specific answer.

Remove all old Java updates, they are actually a security risk. From Java 6-10, and on, the new updates should remove the old updates. You still have to remove all the versions before 6-10 yourself.

Do the same thing for Flash updates. Check to see if you have an old "macromedia flash" entry in your add/remove programs. If you do, uninstall it. Actually your best bet is probably to run the Flash uninstaller, and then simply install the newest version.

Foxit is much better, and faster, than Adobe Reader. but, as Faustus notes, you can't make PDFs with it...Foxit is a reader. If you have Adobe professional, then leave it. Also, if you regularly get PDF files with embedded video and such, you may have some trouble with the free version of Foxit, or may have to add some plugins. I can tell you I have never had any issues with Foxit.

To save some further space, right click "My Computer"and select "Properties". Click the System Restore tab and choose "settings" for the hard drive in question. There will be a slide bar where you can select how much disk space to devote to system restore. By defalut, the slide is all the way to the right...using as much space as possible. That is simply WAY too much, in most cases. Slide it down so that you are using about 800 to 1,000 MBs, or so. You need to use at least 200 MB, but I would use a little bit more. You can't choose any less than 1% of your drive (and still have more than 200mb), I don't believe, so if 1% is enough, then just use that.

In addition run CCleaner. This will do a decent job of cleaning out all the junk on your computer. Follow the directions carefully, and if you use the "Registry" fix option, make sure you say "yes" when asked if you want to make a backup of your registry. Chances are that nothing will go wrong, but just in case, you are backed up.

Dean, good stuff, thanks. There's some stuff that I'm going to do to clean up my system, based on what you posted.

Just to add to the stuff about the Foxit/Adobe Reader stuff - if you need to create basic PDFs there are a few freeware PDF creation utilities out there. I use the basic version of CutePDF Writer, which works pretty well for me. There are also a few where you can upload to a website and get the PDF emailed to you, but I try to avoid those whenever possible.