Frank Reich new QB coach in Indy

Caldwell joined Dungy's staff in 2001 as Tampa Bay's quarterbacks coach, then moved with Dungy to Indianapolis in 2002. Since then, he's been in charge of Manning and backup Jim Sorgi although his duties expanded last season when he was made the successor-in-waiting.

He scripted the offseason practice schedule and participated in the draft prep work and draft day meetings.

Dungy said Monday that Caldwell saw enough to propose a few changes already, though the new coach declined to elaborate on those thoughts Tuesday as Dungy watched from the back of the room.

Caldwell has already made one decision.

Former Buffalo Bills quarterback Frank Reich, who spent last season as an offensive team assistant, will be elevated to quarterbacks coach. Caldwell is still meeting with other staff members before debating whether to make additional moves.

Caldwell joined Dungy's staff in 2001 as Tampa Bay's quarterbacks coach, then moved with Dungy to Indianapolis in 2002. Since then, he's been in charge of Manning and backup Jim Sorgi although his duties expanded last season when he was made the successor-in-waiting.

He scripted the offseason practice schedule and participated in the draft prep work and draft day meetings.

Dungy said Monday that Caldwell saw enough to propose a few changes already, though the new coach declined to elaborate on those thoughts Tuesday as Dungy watched from the back of the room.

Caldwell has already made one decision.

Former Buffalo Bills quarterback Frank Reich, who spent last season as an offensive team assistant, will be elevated to quarterbacks coach. Caldwell is still meeting with other staff members before debating whether to make additional moves.

The NFL really ticks me off. I know this post is about Frank Reich and I hope that he does well; he's a total class act. The reason the NFL gets me so upset is because of the hiring system put in place. Before I go any further I would like to tell everyone that I am not a racist and that some of my very good friends are African-American. How does the NFL allow Jim Caldwell to become the head coach of the Colts without even interviewing a white guy??? Why is it that the ONLY rule in place is that a black man gets interviewed? The NFL does not care if a hispanic, latino, white, or chinese guy gets interviewed, as long as one of the candadites is black. When Marvin Lewis got hired in Cincinnati it was the same deal. Lewis got hired before a white guy was even interviewed. The Detroit Lions got chastised when they chose Mariucci a few years back and didn't follow the league guidelines to bring in a black man for an interview. The bottom line is that I think the teams should interview and select who they want. I really have no problem with the Colts wanting Caldwell. My problem is that the NFL allows the system to only work in order to benefit blacks and that is not fair. Blacks probably make up 85% of the NFL players but how come white people aren't bitching about how teams are drafting mostly black players and picking up mainly black free agents. How come we don't have a rule to say that a certain number of white players need to be brought in to camp prior to the cut down. Why? because that would be rediculous. Teams have the right to choose who they think are the best players to bring to camp and therefore they should be allowed to interview who they feel are the best HC canadites as well. Fair is Fair...

The NFL really ticks me off. I know this post is about Frank Reich and I hope that he does well; he's a total class act. The reason the NFL gets me so upset is because of the hiring system put in place. Before I go any further I would like to tell everyone that I am not a racist and that some of my very good friends are African-American. How does the NFL allow Jim Caldwell to become the head coach of the Colts without even interviewing a white guy??? Why is it that the ONLY rule in place is that a black man gets interviewed? The NFL does not care if a hispanic, latino, white, or chinese guy gets interviewed, as long as one of the candadites is black. When Marvin Lewis got hired in Cincinnati it was the same deal. Lewis got hired before a white guy was even interviewed. The Detroit Lions got chastised when they chose Mariucci a few years back and didn't follow the league guidelines to bring in a black man for an interview. The bottom line is that I think the teams should interview and select who they want. I really have no problem with the Colts wanting Caldwell. My problem is that the NFL allows the system to only work in order to benefit blacks and that is not fair. Blacks probably make up 85% of the NFL players but how come white people aren't bitching about how teams are drafting mostly black players and picking up mainly black free agents. How come we don't have a rule to say that a certain number of white players need to be brought in to camp prior to the cut down. Why? because that would be rediculous. Teams have the right to choose who they think are the best players to bring to camp and therefore they should be allowed to interview who they feel are the best HC canadites as well. Fair is Fair...

I agree this rule is one sided but in this case they didn't have to interview anyone no matter what race they were, because he was already on the staff. He also was named the next head coach a few years ago, as soon as Dungy stepped down.

I agree this rule is one sided but in this case they didn't have to interview anyone no matter what race they were, because he was already on the staff. He also was named the next head coach a few years ago, as soon as Dungy stepped down.

It's the same reason that the Seahawks didn't have to interview anyone when they hired Whitey Mora Jr.

You say you are not racist but you sure sound it, and you sound uneducated. You are probably one of those people that says there should be a NAAWP, or there should be a unicef for white people. Look at the spirit of the rule. It is to make sure that people from another background are offered the same opportunity as white people. If you look at the numbers of head coaches it still doesn't make sense. There is a much larger percentage of minorities as players and the coaching staffs should also represent that number.

If you have ever studied law-- white educated men are not a protected group, by law. There hasn't been cases of gross discrimination against the educated white male, like there have been against all other classes of people. Therefore, laws are in place to ensure a fair opportunity. The NFL created the Rooney rule to garantee that minorities get the same opportunities as everybody else.

Go wear your sheet in private but your true colors are showing here.

Before the Rooney Rule came into effect, the NFL had an image problem.

Whether or not there really was any bias in hiring coaches is still up for debate, but it was clear in a league that had a majority of black players, there were very few black coaches. The Fritz Pollard Alliance - an organization of black NFL staffers - commissioned a report and found that there was some evidence saying black coaches weren't getting a fair shake. It's available here (http://web2.customwebexpress.com/meska/sub/b-coaches.jsp) and it stated basically that black coaches got fired quicker than white coaches and hired later.

When the report got presented to the NFL, Tagliabue put Dan Rooney in charge of a committee to resolve the issue, and the Rooney Rule is what came out of it. There hasn't been a study showing whether or not the rule has changed the underlying issues, but it certainly got the league a wave of good press, and with black coaching hires on the rise, some results to trumpet.

You say you are not racist but you sure sound it, and you sound uneducated. You are probably one of those people that says there should be a NAAWP, or there should be a unicef for white people. Look at the spirit of the rule. It is to make sure that people from another background are offered the same opportunity as white people. If you look at the numbers of head coaches it still doesn't make sense. There is a much larger percentage of minorities as players and the coaching staffs should also represent that number.

If you have ever studied law-- white educated men are not a protected group, by law. There hasn't been cases of gross discrimination against the educated white male, like there have been against all other classes of people. Therefore, laws are in place to ensure a fair opportunity. The NFL created the Rooney rule to garantee that minorities get the same opportunities as everybody else.

Go wear your sheet in private but your true colors are showing here.

Nobody here has questioned the spirit of the rooney rule like you have stated so many times in many of your posts.The rooney rule in its efforts to equalize the playing field has done some good in the push towards hiring more black coachs.I understand that you " study law " and that discrimination against white people is not possible but the point of the poster went right over your head.In your ever present agenda to call somebody a racist you overlooked the fact that he was questioning why only one race is protected by the rooney rule.In an effort to better the chances of minorities coaching in the nfl you would think that more than one race would be represented by the rule but I think the other poster was onto something by saying it was more of a PR move.Hopefully more coachs of all backgrounds continue to integrate into all of our sports and players as well.I am all for assisting these efforts and believe that most are on the same page.When somebody as ignorant as you attacks with your clan reference against somebody who differs in your opinion you only set us back further.Grow up! :wallbash:

Congrats to Frank... but what I find most interesting about this Colts situation, as it is actually relevant to the Buffalo Bills, is that one of the other changes Caldwell is preparing to make, is scraping the Tampa 2/Cover 2 defense (whatever the hell you want to call it) that Dungy is credited with mastering, and our Bills currently use. One of the talking heads (sorry can't remember who) said that Caldwell is frustrated with that defense, and that the Colts have never really been able to find the right caliber of players (ie: something similar to what Dungy had in Tampa) to run it. It goes along with the seemingly new popular theory that the Tampa 2 is only successful with the right players, and there are not enough of those type players around for just any team to be running this defense... personally, I loathe our defense, while acknowledging that they had some decent outings this past season. I don't believe, unless the Bills really strike gold somewhere, that they will ever be able to shut down good offensive teams, consistantly enough, to really ever be a serious contender, running that defense.

The one gap attacking style of defense isn't the problem; finding linebackers that can cover the holes in the zones is. Jim Mora Jr. thrives on that style, without being passive in his defense. Even Minnesota, despite its Tampa 2 leanings, uses the Williams Wall to implode the interior of the line and Jared Allen to terrorize the outside. Heck, the "creep" Fewell uses from time to time is something akin to the 3-4 rather than a 4-3.

I know some of y'all hate the Tampa 2, but hate the coverage not necessarily the methodology and/or attitude of it....