To the International Law haters

Sandra Day O'Connor made some headlines recently discussing what most lawyers already know. We are no longer an island of laws unto ourselves- international laws increasingly affect corporations and individuals.

O'Connor Speech

There's a lot of skepticism in the US about the murky soup of international law. Lots of people, including our president, have little respect for international law. Unfortunately, to enforce our laws, we need to respect others. What's more, when we sign up to a treaty like WIPO, and make ourselves subject to its jurisdiction, we violate the supreme law of the land if we break the treaty.

More to come on this. One thing I know- it's good news for lawyers like me. I already deal weekly with attorneys from at least five countries in my practice., and over the course of a year, there's hardly a country with any economy that I don't do some work with.

Sandra Day O'Connor made some headlines recently discussing what most lawyers already know. We are no longer an island of laws unto ourselves- international laws increasingly affect corporations and individuals.

O'Connor Speech

There's a lot of skepticism in the US about the murky soup of international law. Lots of people, including our president, have little respect for international law. Unfortunately, to enforce our laws, we need to respect others. What's more, when we sign up to a treaty like WIPO, and make ourselves subject to its jurisdiction, we violate the supreme law of the land if we break the treaty.

More to come on this. One thing I know- it's good news for lawyers like me. I already deal weekly with attorneys from at least five countries in my practice., and over the course of a year, there's hardly a country with any economy that I don't do some work with.

91508[/snapback]

Why, after signing the Kyoto treaty, did Clinton not submit it to the Senate? Just curious...please don't simply say that the Republicans would defeat it - plenty of Dem. Sen's would have rejected it.

What do you think about trade, and the meteoric rise in US trade deficit since 1993?

Candidate Kerry has being making isolationist trade statements. Is he your choice?

Why, after signing the Kyoto treaty, did Clinton not submit it to the Senate? Just curious...please don't simply say that the Republicans would defeat it - plenty of Dem. Sen's would have rejected it.

Unratified treaties have a sort of murky legal value. Knowing slick Willie, he probably hoped that the murkiness might commit the USA to the treaty.

He didn't submit it because it would never have passed and become supreme law of the land, so he preferred to leave its status ambiguous.

What do you think about trade, and the meteoric rise in US trade deficit since 1993?

I think it's simple economics. If we could make cheaper GI Joes with the Kung-Fu Grip here, we would. We can't, so they get made elsewhere.

I'm not sure what kind of "caring" you are asking about. I don't think the trade deficit is as simple as most people. What we have to export at the moment is ideas. What we import are goods that are the result of those ideas. So far, that works in our favor.

Have we lost some of our manufacturing base? Yes. That's the global economy. It works pretty well actually, when the governments get the hell outta the way.

Candidate Kerry has being making isolationist trade statements. Is he your choice?

Nope.

91508[/snapback]

One thing you can always count on: the stinking lawyers will find a way to make money no matter what. :blush:

One thing you can always count on: the stinking lawyers will find a way to make money no matter what.  :blush:

91573[/snapback]

I'm a patent attorney, so I'm in the middle of idea importing/exporting.

BTW, just to cheer up the lawyer haters, and who isn't a lawyer hater, one big thing happening in the law is outsourcing legal work to other countries. Countries with English speakers now have companies that will do legal research and write memos, even legal briefs, and return them to US law firms for filing. The overseas firms, of course, do the work a lot cheaper than a first year associate (in big Phila firm, such an associate makes about 130K/yr... and bills a client at a rate of somewhere in the $250/hr. range.. all this for a 25 year old's services!). Anyway, there's controversy over the export of such legal work. I think it's an interesting new wrinkle in the law. If it catches on in a big way, and I don't think it will because legal work is pretty hard, it could drive down legal rates.

Unratified treaties have a sort of murky legal value. Knowing slick Willie, he probably hoped that the murkiness might commit the USA to the treaty.

He didn't submit it because it would never have passed and become supreme law of the land, so he preferred to leave its status ambiguous.

I think it's simple economics. If we could make cheaper GI Joes with the Kung-Fu Grip here, we would. We can't, so they get made elsewhere.

I'm not sure what kind of "caring" you are asking about. I don't think the trade deficit is as simple as most people. What we have to export at the moment is ideas. What we import are goods that are the result of those ideas. So far, that works in our favor.

Have we lost some of our manufacturing base? Yes. That's the global economy. It works pretty well actually, when the governments get the hell outta the way. 

Nope.

91566[/snapback]

The profits from ideas concentrate into the hands of a relative few, seldom into those who execute same. That's old hat, but "noblisse oblige" is not part of the equation anymore. If I read you correctly, there is little future for the mass of our citizenry, and an eclectic crust skilled in manipulation and self-enacted complexity with largess far beyond needs will rule.

Violent revolution around the corner?...

I'm a patent attorney, so I'm in the middle of idea importing/exporting.

BTW, just to cheer up the lawyer haters, and who isn't a lawyer hater, one big thing happening in the law is outsourcing legal work to other countries. Countries with English speakers now have companies that will do legal research and write memos, even legal briefs, and return them to US law firms for filing. The overseas firms, of course, do the work a lot cheaper than a first year associate (in big Phila firm, such an associate makes about 130K/yr... and bills a client at a rate of somewhere in the $250/hr. range.. all this for a 25 year old's services!). Anyway, there's controversy over the export of such legal work. I think it's an interesting new wrinkle in the law. If it catches on in a big way, and I don't think it will because legal work is pretty hard, it could drive down legal rates.

91607[/snapback]

See, free markets work for the good of all. That's why I'm so depressed this year. I have to vote for the lesser of two evils and I can't stand it. But I'll do ANYTHING i can to make sure Kerry does not become president because I firmly believe he is anti-free markets.