The Selling of an NFL Frachise

There has been a lot of talk on this board about the sale of the Bills when the day comes that Ralph passes. So, when I saw this clip from Peter King I thought I would share.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/video/pet...ated/index.html

You have to wait til the end to see it, but I thought it dovetails well with discussions that have been posted on this board.

Sorry if this has already been posted.

The economic burden of the national recession will likely impact Ralph Wilsons' plan to sell his franchise after he passes from this earthly coil. If the Rams are disheartened about the offer(s) they've fielded, imagine the muddled picture for the Buffalo Bills going forward. It could shift the thinking corporately and within Ralph's family. They may have to "run" this business regardless. My worry is that I don't think Mary Wilson and daughter Linda Bogdan will be as staunchly in the fans corner, and could easily be persuaded to move, lock stock and barrel.

The cost to move the team (relocation fee) is somewhere in the neighborhood of $250M. That's way more than Ralph, his family, or a new owner, will want to pay, without getting that money back from a new city +/- a new stadium. Ralph's best move is to will the team to his wife Mary so there will be no estate taxes, and then they can figure-out something, like selling the team when it's more appropriate.

I agree he should just leave it to his wife and let things play out and she can sell the team from there....that way they avoid enormous punitive taxes and headaches. They could even have a prearranged deal where she sells the team to Kelly's group after a couple years.

It really is the cleanest and easiest way to go and keeps his legacy as a great owner and ambassador for the league.

I agree he should just leave it to his wife and let things play out and she can sell the team from there....that way they avoid enormous punitive taxes and headaches. They could even have a prearranged deal where she sells the team to Kelly's group after a couple years.

It really is the cleanest and easiest way to go and keeps his legacy as a great owner and ambassador for the league.

"keeps his legacy as a great owner"

First he has to become a great owner-

that would entail actually making winning a championship a priority as opposed to an accidental result of maximizing cash flow.

Ralph's actions qualify him as more shake-down artist, sheister and extortionist, than "great owner"

All hail Ralph, he didn't move the team out of Buffalo!!

(He didn't do much with it when it was here, but now you are nit-picking)