The elephant in the room

major

I enjoy this board. It's fun to speculate on who we should have drafted last year, who we should draft this year, why we collapsed this year, whether or not we should fire our coach, who the QB should be and why, debating whether we should renew our tickets or not, etc...

The questions we bring up are for the most part legit; however, remember who is at the top when you ask those questions.

The elephant in the room is RALPH WILSON - every question we bring up from day-to-day goes directly back to him. Ralph hires the personnel that makes the decisions that affect us on the field.

Detroit sucks because of their owner. The Raiders suck because of their owner. Look at every franchise that struggles and ask yourself how many coaches they've had in a 10 year span. If it's more than one, you probably have a losing franchise. Ask yourself, who hires and fires those coaches and you're back to the elephant in the room.

I like Ralph because he created this team that I love, because he has kept it in Buffalo, etc... However, I know he's the one responsible for the product we currently have.

Ultimately, and sadly, you are correct.

But, I don't fault the guy for it. He's trying to eke out his living as an owner in a small market. Yeah, he's undoubtedly making millions... But, compared to most of his peers, he's not nearly as successful with an asset that due to it's scarcity is worth almost as much. It is not his fault the city of Buffalo has gone into stagnation and decline. What was once a pearl in the East has become a rusted out shell of its former self.

I don't think he is as meddlesome as the bad owners you mentioned... But, he does want to continue to make money. What is his other source of Income? He gives a lot back to Buffalo charities, he isn't a complete prick. He's an old school owner of an old school team. Heck, is there any franchise owner around who has own their franchise as long as he has? I don't know the answer to that, but there are only a few (Al Davis comes to mind as another).

So, what's my point? I don't fault Ralph for wanting to make a living. The trouble isn't a lack of spending, it's who they are spending it on. How many of the highest paid Bills would be considered highest paid on good teams?

We have drafted some great talent, and when they become superstars we don't even try to retain them, because they want too much. But for some reason, we reward mediocre talent. Dockery, Schobel, Denney... I'm talking about you.

I enjoy this board. It's fun to speculate on who we should have drafted last year, who we should draft this year, why we collapsed this year, whether or not we should fire our coach, who the QB should be and why, debating whether we should renew our tickets or not, etc...

The questions we bring up are for the most part legit; however, remember who is at the top when you ask those questions.

The elephant in the room is RALPH WILSON - every question we bring up from day-to-day goes directly back to him. Ralph hires the personnel that makes the decisions that affect us on the field.

Detroit sucks because of their owner. The Raiders suck because of their owner. Look at every franchise that struggles and ask yourself how many coaches they've had in a 10 year span. If it's more than one, you probably have a losing franchise. Ask yourself, who hires and fires those coaches and you're back to the elephant in the room.

I like Ralph because he created this team that I love, because he has kept it in Buffalo, etc... However, I know he's the one responsible for the product we currently have.

Oh. A Ralph thread. I thought it was going to be about Langston Walker.

You are correct. Ralph is essentially using the Bills, now more than ever, as his personal

ATM. Selling a game to Toronto is evidence of this. Anyone who augues differently is either

misinformed or intellectually dishonest.

I would tend to agree, however, a good QB can overcome a bad owner.

Kurt Warner with the Cardinals even though they have Bill Bidwell make the playoffs this year.

Brett Farve with Green Bay . . . they were terrible until they got him.

Miami Dolphins improved their QB situation and they improved.

Miami Dolphins improved their QB situation ....

...and their management situation...

...and their coaching situation...

...and their offensive line situation...

...and their team chemistry situation...

...and their players' health (Joey Porter) situation...

... and they improved.

Exactly.

...and their management situation...

...and their coaching situation...

...and their offensive line situation...

...and their team chemistry situation...

...and their players' health (Joey Porter) situation...

Exactly.

The primary change in Miami was the QB.

I'm not saying the others were not a factor.

If you check the records teams have their best years when they have their best QBs. History proves it.

Chuck Noll didn't really win without Terry Bradshaw.

Yes, the person on top of the org chart is always to blame. With that said, this game is all about chemistry, and it is much harder to achieve than anyone on this board would ever care to admit. It can not be drafted, it can not be coached. It just happens.

The primary change in Miami was the QB.

I'm not saying the others were not a factor.

If you check the records teams have their best years when they have their best QBs. History proves it.

Chuck Noll didn't really win without Terry Bradshaw.

Hold on a minute: you mean teams do better w/ a competent (no, their best) guy in there @ the position that handles the ball more than any other position on the field? Get outta here!