QB options for 2009?

dgwalsh

I'm not sure if anyone has posted a thread on this but I'm curious to see what the Bills will do next year regarding the QB depth chart. Do they pick up a free agent to back up Edwards (or put someone....like a Leftwich....into competition for the starting job), or do they look to the draft? Either way, they are so very thin there (obviously).

I'm not sure if anyone has posted a thread on this but I'm curious to see what the Bills will do next year regarding the QB depth chart. Do they pick up a free agent to back up Edwards (or put someone....like a Leftwich....into competition for the starting job), or do they look to the draft? Either way, they are so very thin there (obviously).

Donovan Mcnabb...to bring some leadership on the field and in the clubhouse. To teach Trent how the position is played on and off the field...more than the coaching staff is willing to do. A win now and hopefully a win in the future!

Donovan Mcnabb...to bring some leadership on the field and in the clubhouse. To teach Trent how the position is played on and off the field...more than the coaching staff is willing to do. A win now and hopefully a win in the future!

I like it...hell I like anything at this point, admittedly. Is he a FA at year-end? I think Charlie Batch is coming back to Pittsburgh from IR next year and Leftwich will be trying to get on as a competitive #1 somewhere. I don't think he's great but he's decent and can play in the cold.

Its unfortunate, but if they're going to go with Edwards as the starter they have the disadvantage of being required to carry a third QB, in addition to a starting calibre second string QB. Not every team carries three QBs, but with Edwards' injury history he's averaging missing a little over 25% of the season. That means for a little over four games out of every season their third string QB will be 2nd on the depth chart. IMO, they need to play Hamdan from here on out to see if he can continue to fill in as the 3rd string QB, but still be capable of being the second string QB for all of the games Edwards will miss due to injury.

I like it...hell I like anything at this point, admittedly. Is he a FA at year-end? I think Charlie Batch is coming back to Pittsburgh from IR next year and Leftwich will be trying to get on as a competitive #1 somewhere. I don't think he's great but he's decent and can play in the cold.

Unless Dovavans released (unlikely) we would have to trade for him which would probably cost a first and conditional third

Its unfortunate, but if they're going to go with Edwards as the starter they have the disadvantage of being required to carry a third QB, in addition to a starting calibre second string QB. Not every team carries three QBs, but with Edwards' injury history he's averaging missing a little over 25% of the season. That means for a little over four games out of every season their third string QB will be 2nd on the depth chart. IMO, they need to play Hamden from here on out to see if he can continue to fill in as the 3rd string QB, but still be capable of being the second string QB for all of the games Edwards will miss due to injury.

Right-on...do you think they look for a veteran with a name or a journeyman like a Frerotte, or draft?

I heard Mcnabb might hit the market. Anybody would be stupid not to touch that, I also heard that Hasselbeck might too. If either of those to do i say we pick them up. we could either name Edwards a number 2, which would be tough after a year and a half as the starter, or put him on the trade block with parrish or kelsey and pick up maybe a second rounder and get a young qb there.

just some thoughts.

realistically we will be back here with Edwards and Jauron. Go about 8-8, missing the playoffs because some jackoff 2nd stringer had to play 6 games because Trent got hurt again.

The Bills clearly need to add a starter caliber QB to the roster in the offseason.

Losman is gone, there is no way that his re-signing should be even considered. It's both in his and the team's best interests.

Hamdan is not a serious solution, as has been demonstrated by the coaching staff's unwillingness to play him.

And Edwards' play has been worrisome, to say the least. It's not clear that he'll recover his form, and it's not clear that even if he is able to turn it around, that he's the long-term answer.

The Bills should go all out and shoot for maximum potential because the QB position is still clearly open for improvement. And hopefully they'll make an investment in protecting whoever the QB in 2009 is as well. This team has a serviceable, though young defense. So go all out in an attempt to re-build the offense.

I heard Mcnabb might hit the market. Anybody would be stupid not to touch that, I also heard that Hasselbeck might too. If either of those to do i say we pick them up. we could either name Edwards a number 2, which would be tough after a year and a half as the starter, or put him on the trade block with parrish or kelsey and pick up maybe a second rounder and get a young qb there.

just some thoughts.

realistically we will be back here with Edwards and Jauron. Go about 8-8, missing the playoffs because some jackoff 2nd stringer had to play 6 games because Trent got hurt again.

Yes he will be on the trade market no the free agent market. " According to NFL Network's Adam Schefter, the Eagles will free up $9.2 million in salary cap money if they trade Donovan McNabb this offseason"

So not only will it cost the team money but its going to cost draft picks to get Mcnabb.

The Bills clearly need to add a starter caliber QB to the roster in the offseason.

Losman is gone, there is no way that his re-signing should be even considered. It's both in his and the team's best interests.

Hamdan is not a serious solution, as has been demonstrated by the coaching staff's unwillingness to play him.

And Edwards' play has been worrisome, to say the least. It's not clear that he'll recover his form, and it's not clear that even if he is able to turn it around, that he's the long-term answer.

The Bills should go all out and shoot for maximum potential because the QB position is still clearly open for improvement. And hopefully they'll make an investment in protecting whoever the QB in 2009 is as well. This team has a serviceable, though young defense. So go all out in an attempt to re-build the offense.

I like Trent and I think he has the head and heart to play the position. He also is capable of being a leader...but you're right that he's worrisome - injury-prone and pretty vulnerable in the cold weather. JP isn't even open for discussion and I don't think that is even a discussion, let alone an option. I also am with you on the defense. With Schobel back next year the D-line is different, and our LB core will be better without Ellison who is clearly in way over his head. Invest in the O and get some depth and confidence back.

The guy we shoulda signed is the guy most of the TSW 'experts' said was washed up and couldn't wait to play him twice this season - Brett Favre. Now that we're mathematically eliminated from the post-season, I do hope we at least get a chance to see Hamdan in a game situation against Denver or NE*.

Phuk the Bills.

I like Trent and I think he has the head and heart to play the position. He also is capable of being a leader...but you're right that he's worrisome - injury-prone and pretty vulnerable in the cold weather. JP isn't even open for discussion and I don't think that is even a discussion, let alone an option. I also am with you on the defense. With Schobel back next year the D-line is different, and our LB core will be better without Ellison who is clearly in way over his head. Invest in the O and get some depth and confidence back.

Agreed, he showed definite promise and ability at the beginning of the season, but post-bye there was a definite and steep regression in his play. The QB position is too important for the Bills to simply rest on faith that Edwards will return to that early-season form. And you're right the durability issues alone are enough to warrant a significant investment in another high quality QB for the roster.

The guy we shoulda signed is the guy most of the TSW 'experts' said was washed up and couldn't wait to play him twice this season - Brett Favre. Now that we're mathematically eliminated from the post-season, I do hope we at least get a chance to see Hamdan in a game situation against Denver or NE*.

Phuk the Bills.

It would have been fun. I remember when the fanfare was loud and exciting when Bledsoe came to Orchard Park. It would have been all that and so much more with Favre. That said, that was last year and we can't go there. If anything it will be interesting...I have a feeling they may make it somewhat entertaining, simply because the fan base is at a really low point. Something to drive excitement and interest would at least bring us back from 'where are they now' and irrelevant category that we're in.

Donovan signed a 12 year 115 mil contract in 2002 with 20 mil guaranteed. Unless he has restructured, he is under contract until 2013. Usually, those last few years of these contracts are pretty bloated too.

If we get Donovan, I expect a steve mcnair type guy at this point in his career, especially if he has to learn a new playbook on a new team...something hes never had to do.

I also expect quite a few bounce passes to receivers...

Jp isnt an option because JP WONT sign with the Bills after they way hes been treated.

The question has to be this: What do you want to do at the Qb position and at what cost do you want to do it?

Kurt warner will still be with the cardinals or retired I dont forsee him going to another team.

The Seahwaks would be idiots to get rid of Hasslebeck- so the chances of landing him would be 1%

Matt Cassel is a young option nad KNOWS THE PATRIOTS PLAYBOOK I really like that fact. However he is the most sacked QB in the leaugue and I know how this board hates the Drews, RJs and the JPS at the position MAtt to dat has been sacked 44 times. This was his first starting season on a seasoned team with good leadership his toools could be very useful to us but his year with the Pats will make him a hghly paid QB so we would have to annoit him the starter over edwards for this to happen- I am not sold on Cassel just like I am not sold on Trent.

A golden opprotuinty is to trade for a seasoned veteran who knows how to win and has been to countless playoffs, league championships and a Superbow ad has played on teams with the talent of the bills and had that type of success. Could really mold trent and teach him the position and put us on the map of instant credibility even with the rumored extenstion of Jauron-Problem he would cost us 2 first day picks. Is it worth given up drafting a first day pass rusher for Mcnabb we havent had much succes tradng away our first round picks on QBS. however if we could trade awy 2010 first round pick and not this years I would say definatley. Or better yet trade schobel & kelsay for macnabb and call it a wash.

Either way the best available option with out totally ruining our future is Matt Cassell.

The only thing Trent has proven so far is he does not have the ability to stay healthy. The Bills need to at least bring in a Vet that can challenge Trent for the starters job during preseason.

Admittedly I have zero idea who may be available or under serious consideration.

While id love to see McNabb in Buffalo, I still think with the right staff and some other players around Edwards he will be a good QB in this league.

That's all fine and well, but the Bills are still gonna need someone to play the other 8-12 games that Edwards will sit out with his incessant injuries.