Ralph and Russ

BillsVet

When Russ Brandon was promoted to Chief Operating Officer, many fans wondered how much clout he had in football operations. It's clear, by virtue of this past season's ticket numbers, that he's more than adept at marketing this team. But now that he'll be charged with guiding a new marketing campaign which depends on the moves off the field, we'll see how much pull he has and what kind of money he can spend. Either way, he's got an impossible task considering the owner.

I suspect Jauron is gone at the end of the season, but that alone will not sell tickets. Real football improvements obviously must come before fans will buy tickets from a franchise whose owner is, "used to it" and laughs at seeing his team play poorly.

It's also clear that Ralph has a certain degree of faith in Russ. But if RB isn't given the lattitude to find a legitimate personnel guy for GM who can hire a real HC, I see the COO leaving.

This is pure speculation, but Brandon is a bright guy who could work in many places. It doesn't seem that Ralph is all that concerned with maintaining a ticket base by improving the product. If, and only if, that is the case, RB has done all that he's going to do for this franchise. And that would be one more step to the franchise leaving.

It's also clear that Ralph has a certain degree of faith in Russ. But if RB isn't given the lattitude to find a legitimate personnel guy for GM who can hire a real HC, I see the COO leaving.

This is pure speculation, but Brandon is a bright guy who could work in many places. It doesn't seem that Ralph is all that concerned with maintaining a ticket base by improving the product. If, and only if, that is the case, RB has done all that he's going to do for this franchise. And that would be one more step to the franchise leaving.

The way I see Brandon's role, he is the GM. And he & Wilson will hire the new coach. When Wilson fired Donahoe, he also re-hired himself as team president. When Levy quit, Ralph did not say he was stepping back again. Unfortunately, I think Wilson is going more Al Davis on us then Wayne Huzienga, who just sits back and hires a man like Parcells to run the entire show in Miami, and loves his decsion. Not to mention the fact he is also trying his best to sell the Dolphins which may or may not have anything to do with him bringing in Parcells.

Bottom line here in Buffalo is that Wilson is in charge until he either comes down with Alzheimers or dementia, or he dies.

He will never hire another "legitimate personnel guy for GM again, in my opinion.

Brandon is not going to leave the Bills for a marketing/business job with another team.

He has been waiting a long to prove he can be an NFL GM.

The only way he leaves is if he's offered a real GM position with another team.

Brandon is not going to leave the Bills for a marketing/business job with another team.

He has been waiting a long to prove he can be an NFL GM.

The only way he leaves is if he's offered a real GM position with another team.

Unforunately, working for Ralph places him into an impossible situation in which he may not have any chance for success.

At some point, any intelligent executive realizes when they aren't given the resources to suceed.

At some point, any intelligent executive realizes when they aren't given the resources to suceed.

That point is not Jan '09. He's going into his 1st offseason after a season of being in charge of scouting.

This offseason will be when he can truely see if he is being given the resources to succeed.

That point is not Jan '09. He's going into his 1st offseason after a season of being in charge of scouting.

This offseason will be when he can truely see if he is being given the resources to succeed.

The salary cap will rise to about 123M next year. And Ralph is on record as saying the money received from Toronto isn't going toward players. So I have to believe Buffalo will be 25M beneath the cap in 09, similar to 08.

I'm certain the Bills have already began or even finalized the budget for 2009. When you spend 20-23M beneath the cap, refuse to spend on coaching, and won't hire a GM, it tells me they're just making this franchise more sellable.

Jeff Littman, team CFO is all about saving money, and if the Polian firing has shown us anything, it's that Ralph values money over success. I'm not saying BP is a saint, but he knows football. Still, RW chose Littman over Polian and the franchise has suffered greatly since then.

Let's be honest, bright people aren't flocking to Buffalo for jobs. At least not well-recognized people. Brandon will read the writing on the wall, but it may be another year.

From Pro Football weekly on Charlie Casserly who should be the next Bills GM.That is IF the Bills actually want to win games next year.

“When you look at Charley Casserly’s last draft in Houston, you’ve got to give him some credit. Mario Williams and DeMeco Ryans are Pro Bowl players. Eric Winston has been solid. Owen Daniels is emerging as one of the game’s best all-around tight ends. (Casserly’s) last draft was a helluva draft. The biggest problem he had in Houston was building the offensive line. He paid a lot of veterans in the supplemental draft that never panned out. But he has hit on high picks. Dunta Robinson has turned out to be a better cornerback than DeAngelo Hall. Andre Johnson has become one of the premier receivers in football. And he uncovered some late-round gems, if you can call them that — guys like (Buccaneers DE) Greg White and C.C. Brown.”

Of course he will leave - RW has run everyother GM out - why not him???

:censored:

It's funny, the people who make Ralph seem like a normal owner like Polian and Butler/Smith are sent packing or choose to leave because the situation is bizarre and untenable.

Brandon can market with the best of them. But even he has to be wondering if it's worth working for a man who's not serious about helping him make this franchise work.