(LAMP) Xmas light picture on the lake

Fezmid

God Bless the Canon 50 mm series. I got the 50mm 1.8 for cheap, and simply love it. I'm doing my X-mas shoots this weekend, so I'll upload some of those when they get done.

One question, the shores on the lake seem colorless, did you desaturate in photoshop?

You can still use filters, but I've found it's easier to just apply the filter in Paint Shop Pro (or Photoshop) after the fact. If you're still using film, and know how the filters work, then there's nothing stopping you from using them. I still use them from time to time with my camcorder.

And you can shoot B&W with most (all?) digital cameras -- but again, it usually makes more sense to photograph in color and then just remove the color in software. <_<

As for mini-tripods -- thanks for the links, Cincy & Dean. Do those really work pretty well? In particular, I've seen the one that Dean linked to -- but I always just assumed it was a crappy gadget that didn't really work well. Am I mistaken?

You should still use filters whenever possible. I do as little tweaking as possible in photoshop, just level adjustments really.

God Bless the Canon 50 mm series. I got the 50mm 1.8 for cheap, and simply love it. I'm doing my X-mas shoots this weekend, so I'll upload some of those when they get done.

One question, the shores on the lake seem colorless, did you desaturate in photoshop?

Nope - the only thing I did was crop and apply an unsharp mask. Didn't mess with the colors at all. I did play with the levels a bit, but ended up liking the original better, so left it alone.

Any pointers for me to improve in the future? <_<

Any pointers for me to improve in the future? <_<

Oh gosh, that's too general. It's cloe to telling someone "I've got a football team, any tips on making them better?"

From the image you showed me, I think you did good. The ISO was where it needed to be for what you were going for, you nailed it when you said you needed a tripod. Keep shooting and I can advice per photo.

Oh gosh, that's too general. It's cloe to telling someone "I've got a football team, any tips on making them better?"

From the image you showed me, I think you did good. The ISO was where it needed to be for what you were going for, you nailed it when you said you needed a tripod. Keep shooting and I can advice per photo.

Well I guess I meant how to improve on that photo in particular. <_<

I took this photograph over the weekend in Oshkosh, WI. There's a "Festival of Lights" type of thing going on. I think it turned out pretty well and just wanted to share. :lol:

http://www.fezam.com/nightlights.jpg

I probably should've used a higher ISO (set to 400 -- probably should've tried 800). In addition, I did crop the image and apply an unsharp mask. Could've done better if I had a tripod, but I accidentally left it at home (in Minnesota...), so had to improvise with what I could find in the area.

Don't over think it. It's a beautiful picture. B-)

It's called Ultra-Pod (mine is manufactured by Early Winters). A very useful, low-cost item.

Here's a source, with a photo of it. The legs fold in or out...very compact.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___82060

Cool! :lol:

I know zilch about digital cameras. Do people still use filters? When I dug out that UltraPod, I glanced at mine - perhaps 20 of them.

Dumb question: can you photograph in B&W with a digital camera? I was a big user of B&W film...Kodax Tri-X, Plus-X, and Pan-X, hence the large # of filters.

I shoot in color and use a program to convert to black and white. It's pretty good.

Lights on The Lake in Syracuse.

It was raining that night so I only made it about halfway through.

Nice! :lol:

I always think the first snowfall of the year is really beautiful. Every year I say I'm going to get shots of it and then don't.

There's a farm that raises sheep and Llamas and I've wanted to get shots of them especially when the little lambs were born but I just forget every time. It's on the way to my doctor's office but I always forget it.