Belichick

Its more than just a coach. Brady goes down and they pull a Q.B. out of their pocket the likes of which Buff has not seen since Kelly. Its the organization, starting at the top. Theres been a bit of a R.W. love fest here [and I have been part of it] but look what Kraft has done in the short time he,s been owner[anybody remember the Sullivans?].

Yup, and now players and coaches all want to go there. We would have to sell our jills to get a lot of nfl players to come to buffalo. That might actually be a good decision for everyone...

It makes you wonder how well edwards could be doing. Although from the limited time cassel got in college, it was apparent that he was a top talent.

Yup, and now players and coaches all want to go there. We would have to sell our jills to get a lot of nfl players to come to buffalo. That might actually be a good decision for everyone...

It makes you wonder how well edwards could be doing. Although from the limited time cassel got in college, it was apparent that he was a top talent.

Cassel has a running game and weapons (aka Randy Moss) at his disposal. It makes winning and coming up to speed a lot easier.

Cassel has a running game because of the system, not the backs in the system. EVERYTHING starts at the top.

The Patriots have a running game because of Cassell and the passing attack. They are one of the few NFL teams that pass to setup the run. They are able to do so because they have top QB's running their system.

"Brady goes down and they pull a Q.B. out of their pocket the likes of which Buff has not seen since Kelly."

Sorry, but I'm not about to anoint Matt Cassel as the next Jim Kelly or [insert HOF QB here]. He's had back-to-back big games against the 26th and 28th ranked passing defenses in the league. 400+ yard, high-scoring shootouts where the clock was stopping on almost every play. And he had a nice game against Denver too, they're ranked 25th. Against the Bills he was efficient and ran for a TD, fumbled once and was only sacked once.

But look at the season before that:

Against Indy (not exactly the best defense in the league), NE scored a measly 15 points and Cassel didn't throw a TD and got picked off. Against St. Louis, a horrible team, Cassel got picked off twice and sacked 3 times. Against San Diego, NE scored 10 points, Cassel didn't throw a TD, and he got picked off once and sacked 4 times. San Francisco - 1 TD, 2 INTs, sacked 5 times. The first Miami game - NE was drubbed 38-13, Cassel fumbled, was picked off, was sacked 4 times and his YPA was an astonishingly low 4.2. Against the Jets in Week 2, Cassel played a relatively clean game going 16/23 for 165 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs, but 4 sacks. And in Week 1 coming in for Brady he did well, throwing a TD on 13/18 passing for 152 yards. They beat the Chiefs.

Pittsburgh is coming to NE this week. Look at those teams I went through again. Cassel has not faced any defense even close to theirs. Pittsburgh is allowing only 3.8 yards per PLAY. They are giving up only about two touchdowns per game (14.5) - or how about 5 FGs. They allow less than 240 total yards per game. They have linebackers with double-digit sacks already. They have a saftey with 5 interceptions.

If you want to see Cassel come back to earth this week - watch the game Sunday at 4:15.

The Patriots have a running game because of Cassell and the passing attack. They are one of the few NFL teams that pass to setup the run. They are able to do so because they have top QB's running their system.

Won't argue. Though I might say it starts upfront. They have a O-line that can run block and pass protect. The Bills pass protection is OK, but against better teams, this line gets beat.

49er fan your a stat. machine but Cassel for Edwards straight up. What would you do? Be honest.

Cassel hardly played in college - he was a backup. Edwards was hurt a ton. They are both very early in their careers, and frankly, I don't have enough to go on to pick one. I will say that Edwards has impressed me at times with limited offensive weapons while Cassel has had a few good games after he got the wheel of a Cadillac handed to him. Randy Moss makes one-handed catches while being covered tightly by a CB on the sideline and Wes Welker is open on every single play. If Edwards was in Cassel's position I bet he would be more consistent. Put Cassel on Buffalo and the Bills might be worse than their current record.

Cassel hardly played in college - he was a backup. Edwards was hurt a ton. They are both very early in their careers, and frankly, I don't have enough to go on to pick one. I will say that Edwards has impressed me at times with limited offensive weapons while Cassel has had a few good games after he got the wheel of a Cadillac handed to him. Randy Moss makes one-handed catches while being covered tightly by a CB on the sideline and Wes Welker is open on every single play. If Edwards was in Cassel's position I bet he would be more consistent. Put Cassel on Buffalo and the Bills might be worse than their current record.

Good points but Moss is not always a Q.B.s savior-ck Oakland. And I would be willing to bet against Browns you were yelling " why cant he see Evens?" Throw out K.C. game and you were likely sour on Edwards- point is N.E. has actully beat winning teams Bills cannot and thats with #2 Q.B.

"

49er fan your a stat. machine but Cassel for Edwards straight up. What would you do? Be honest.

No, thanks--I'll stick with what we've got. It's a lot easier to look like an All Pro when you're playing with a ton of them, when the refs seem to look the other way when your team commits rules transgressions on and off the field (see the Matt Light incident for just the latest in a long string of evidence of that) and when you've been sitting the pine for 4 years with nothing to do but learn the system. All of this is taking a bit of a bloom off the Brady rose as well--maybe it is just the system after all, no? Still, I must admit Cassel looks a lot better than I'd have thought after his horrific pre-season (I watched all of his games)--he looked absolutely atrocious in August, so hats off to the Cheaters for coaching him up.....

Theres been a bit of a R.W. love fest here [and I have been part of it] but look what Kraft has done in the short time he,s been owner[anybody remember the Sullivans?].

Great point! :D

I too have recently praised Wilson for being the one owner of Buffalo for over 48 years, and that is an amazing fact. But I certainly respect and admire Kraft for the job he's done in New England.

No it wasn't apparent to anyone except the Patriots.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. It starts with their excellent O-line (coached by the great and underrated Dante Scarnecchia) who can protect the QB and get any RB they put out on the field 3.5-4.0 YPC. Then you add in Moss, Welker, and Faulk (3rd down) as receivers and it's a tough offense to defend.

Belichick though, is a great coach. However I find all the love for Cassel funny. He's gone against the 26th and 28th ranked pass defenses, and racked-up consecutive 400 yard games. The last QB to do that was...Billy Volek. We'll see how many more great games Cassel has, although I suspect he'll have a good one against the Seahawks and their 31st ranked pass defense.

And it doesn't hurt that the AFC East plays a weak schedule this year.