Anyone actually check out "moveon.org"?

I was curious, and a little bored so I logged onto this site.

What does MoveOn do?

When there is a disconnect between broad public opinion and legislative action, MoveOn builds electronic advocacy groups. Examples of such issues are campaign finance, environmental and energy issues, media consolidation, or the Iraq war. Once a group is assembled, MoveOn provides information and tools to help each individual have the greatest possible impact.

Can someone explain to me what they mean by "media consolidation" ?

With a straight face?

I was curious, and a little bored so I logged onto this site.

What does MoveOn do?

When there is a disconnect between broad public opinion and legislative action, MoveOn builds electronic advocacy groups. Examples of such issues are campaign finance, environmental and energy issues, media consolidation, or the Iraq war. Once a group is assembled, MoveOn provides information and tools to help each individual have the greatest possible impact.

Can someone explain to me what they mean by "media consolidation" ?

With a straight face?

6167[/snapback]

Yes, it was in response to the FCC change in regulations that would allow single corporations to own more outlets per locality. Thus, these changes would pave the way for large national conglomerates like Clear Channel, Entercom, etc., to buy local radio stations, shut them down, and replace it with whatever format they want. The obvious danger is that large corporations will literally be able to own what information the public has access to.

It also destroy's local community control over their media. These are legitmate concerns - and I believe, and somebody correct me if I am wrong, that these changes were approved, and after a huge uproar they were later retracted. Is this true? Or are they still in place?

Archived