Guys - step back into reality

daquixers

I think most of you think bringing in JP Losman will have us start winning games and go deep into the playoffs. That is NOT going to happen. The reason we need to get JP in there soon is so that, when he starts at QB for us next season, it wont be his first live action with starting players. If he gets in 8 (and starts 6) games this year he will be ready for action next year, to possibly take us into the playoffs.

But let me remind you - a mobile QB is not always going to win you games. Atlanta has now lost 2 of there last 3 games and Mike Vick (the most mobile QB in probably the history of the NFL) went 7/21 for 119 yards and 2 interceptions and was replaced in the 4th quarter by Schaub who went 2/4 for 10 yards ...

A mobile QB wont solve everything.

Vick is struggling...and when your team is down by 4 TD's it's not worth risking the injury when you are struggling.

But, the Falcons are still 5-2, 3-1 and 9-5-1; 1-1 playoffs = 18-9-1 with him under center.

Not to blow smoke but he is learning a new system....and let me tell you if the Bills were 5-2 right now I'd be happy.

... and Drew isnt learning a new system? All new coaches?

Come on - I hope we get JP in there too - its time for a change, but the fact of the matter is that, getting a mobile QB will not help all your problems.

In fact, Bledsoe has 2 more TD's and 1 more INT than Vick and a better passer rating than Vick.

I think most of you think bringing in JP Losman will have us start winning games and go deep into the playoffs.

WHY? Who said that? Show me where anybody said that with quotes, otherwise STOP with the made up straw-man arguments.

The reason we need to get JP in there soon is so that, when he starts at QB for us next season, it wont be his first live action with starting players. If he gets in 8 (and starts 6) games this year he will be ready for action next year, to possibly take us into the playoffs.

85262[/snapback]

That would be correct.

Come on - I hope we get JP in there too - its time for a change, but the fact of the matter is that, getting a mobile QB will not help all your problems.

In fact, Bledsoe has 2 more TD's and 1 more INT than Vick and a better passer rating than Vick.

85273[/snapback]

Holy stevestojan am I getting tired of this argument. The problem with Drew is not that he isn't a "mobile QB" like Vick; it's that he has ZERO pocket awareness. Peyton Manning is a great QB because he has the ability to sidestep and move the slightest bit within the pocket to avoid the sack.

Now having JP is great for the same reasons we have McGahee and Evans. SPEED. These three guys add extras dimensions to our offense that could make it impossible - hopefully by the start of 2005 - for teams to send waves of blitzers up the middle and not expect to get burned as a result. With the 2003-2004 Bills offensive units, the formula for containment is too simple with the likes of Drew and Travis Henry and, yes, even Moulds when he's not paired with a Peerless Price/Lee Evans type of speedster.

Guest Christopher

We won't know exactly what JP's weaknesses and strengths are until he sees live action with the big boys. No time like the present. I'm not one to throw in the towel before the 2-minute warning, but let's face it - this season is toast.

For myself, I don't know that mobility is as much the issue with JP as having the question answered - is he a playmaker? Does he have that instinct and knack that can't be taught but is seen in most gifted QBs?

In the preseason, he showed inklings of having that much sought after character trait. Yes, it was only a few plays in preseason, but I'd sure like to find out if it was something that can carry into the real games. He seemed to have a real spark.

Elway, Favre, Montana, Young, Kelly were all playmakers who could make instant decisions on the fly - good at improvising when necessary. Don't know that Marino was as good as the others. He just had that fantastic arm and made a point of not taking sacks.

Bledsoe, besides not having very quick feet, is almost too methodical. He's a "by the book" kind of QB whose style would have been well suited for the teams in the 60's and 70s. He's a real standup guy whom I admire for his character, but his stats, especially on the road, say a lot.

How much is his fault and how much does the blame fall on the O-line?

Who knows? (I just had a Flutie/Johnson deja vu moment)

One way to find out would be to get JP under center and see what differences take place. Maybe the same result. Maybe not.

When Brady took over for Bledsoe, New England's offense took on a whole new persona that made impossible for Belichek to sit Brady down. Like Losman, Brady was anything but a seasoned vet.

I think it's time to see how the team responds with Losman. At the very least we can get a head start on next year.

Turn on Howard Simon and you will see who is saying that.

85279[/snapback]

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS ?!?

(aside to Thurman's Helmet: go for it - I won't stop you this time....)

Funny, I've got the show on now, and I'm not hearing "Playoffs". Mostly, I'm hearing the same stuff from the callers that I'm reading here - fire Donahoe, Drew stinks, the OL stinks, etc., etc. And Howard is figuring Losman's first start wouldn't be before the Rams game, because Morrison told him that MM sez 2-3 more weeks before JP is at or near 100%.

I don't think anyone expects Losman to come in and be the 2004 season's savior. But get him in there. Get him some experience. So next year he's not so green.

85300[/snapback]

Agreed, I really havent heard anyone say "start losman now and we will be 11-5" If so, please seek medical assistance.

Lets just see what he can do and like I said a few times today, if the sacks suddendly go down and the running game improves, then we will know where the problem was. If the current production level continues, then we can point our fingers more at the OL.

Agreed, I really havent heard anyone say "start losman now and we will be 11-5" If so, please seek medical assistance.

Lets just see what he can do and like I said a few times today, if the sacks suddendly go down and the running game improves, then we will know where the problem was.  If the current production level continues, then we can point our fingers more at the OL.

85313[/snapback]

Perfect post.

Putting JP in this year will help us better evaluate the rest of the offense heading into the offseason.

85273[/snapback]

And if stats won games Rob Johnson would be a great QB too!

the only reason to get JP in there is to prepare for next year.

JP can get valuable experience which is the only thing we have left to look forward too.

JP, Evans, and McGahee, let the future get in the game, and lets hope we can get some OL help this offseason and maybe put together something to be proud of for next year.

85273[/snapback]

"... and Drew isnt learning a new system? All new coaches?"

this system was supposed to be EASIER for players, especially QB's. And he is Vet with many more years experience than Vick. AND, he's got better, faster WR's than Atlanta has.

"... and Drew isnt learning a new system? All new coaches?"

this system was supposed to be EASIER for players, especially QB's. And he is Vet with many more years experience than Vick. AND, he's got better, faster WR's than Atlanta has.

85437[/snapback]

Excactly. We have a 12 year veteren making rookie mistakes with the football. He still gets happy feet and even when given enough time he throws picks in the red zone. Please end it now and at least give us something to look forward to next year. I love Bledsoe but I don't want him playing QB on my team anymore

Holy stevestojan am I getting tired of this argument. The problem with Drew is not that he isn't a "mobile QB" like Vick; it's that he has ZERO pocket awareness. Peyton Manning is a great QB because he has the ability to sidestep and move the slightest bit within the pocket to avoid the sack.

Now having JP is great for the same reasons we have McGahee and Evans. SPEED. These three guys add extras dimensions to our offense that could make it impossible - hopefully by the start of 2005 - for teams to send waves of blitzers up the middle and not expect to get burned as a result. With the 2003-2004 Bills offensive units, the formula for containment is too simple with the likes of Drew and Travis Henry and, yes, even Moulds when he's not paired with a Peerless Price/Lee Evans type of speedster.

85294[/snapback]

DING DING DING DING DING. We have a winner folks!