Olean Times Herald

To be fair they are probably putting that paper out with three people. The newspaper business is circling the drain. Even major dailies. I'll bet the webmaster has 15 other jobs to do.

PTR

C'mon, Promo -- my weekly has more than that.

Three full-timers in sports, including Chuck, the SE. Probably at least twice that on cityside, or at least it seems that way from the bylines I count in the print edition. Managing editor, cityside editor, and yes, there's a Web editor (although he's also a cityside reporter, albeit one who doesn't have a daily byline). One problem: as best as I can tell, he doesn't work weekends.

We've talked about the absence of timely updates, believe me. Comes down to this: at midnight Saturday night, when the sports guys are probably pretty close to being the only people left in the newsroom (and busting ass to hit deadline), I'd guess that updating the Web site is pretty low on the priority list.

Judging by the timing of the uploads, the TH also apparently subscribes to the idea that if they hold off putting stuff online until people have a chance to buy the dead-tree edition, they might get a few more single-copy sales. For much the same reason, our sister paper in Coudy puts everything on a password-protected site, accessible only to print subscribers. (Us? For all intents and purposes, we don't even HAVE a Web site.)

Unfortunately, unless they decide to pay someone to come in on Sunday morning -- after the deliveries are made, in other words -- this isn't likely to change any time soon.

One more thought to add: while they should be coming out soon, I haven't seen any circ numbers for the local papers ... but overall, the smaller "community" dailies aren't getting hammered as hard as the metros. It's not like Buffalo, where someone can still find out the local news by turning on the TV or listening to WBEN. Down here, there IS no local TV, and the "news departments" of most of the local radio stations involve someone buying a copy of the TH or the Bradford Era, to read the front page and the obits on the air.

I was born and raised in Olean, just graduated from Ithaca and now work as an assignment editor in television news in Syracuse. The Times Herald website is now my connection to the city...while it is always late, like Lori said, they dont want to put the content on the website on the same day, because they have to make a profit selling the papers...with same day content, people will just read the articles online...but the site's new design and particularly the photos are pretty good! Will be back in the city for Thanksgiving, but being in news, I have to work on Christmas :P .

And actually, reporter-wise, I think they do only have three reporters (Eberth, Day Sager, Miller and Shaw)...ok, so 4...

Okay, I was counting Lothridge and Doyle, too, but I'm not sure (and refuse to speculate) on who has which responsibilities.

And while some of the locals love to crack on the TH, compared to some of the other dailies I've seen in the region, I think they put out a decent paper. (Whether or not my copy actually shows up in the paperbox is another story, but one that has nothing to do with the folks in the newsroom ...)

One more thought to add: while they should be coming out soon, I haven't seen any circ numbers for the local papers ... but overall, the smaller "community" dailies aren't getting hammered as hard as the metros. It's not like Buffalo, where someone can still find out the local news by turning on the TV or listening to WBEN. Down here, there IS no local TV, and the "news departments" of most of the local radio stations involve someone buying a copy of the TH or the Bradford Era, to read the front page and the obits on the air.

Sad news for 6 OH small dailies...

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9433VEO0.htm

Here in SW Ohio, the Cincinnati Post closed up shop recently. I hate it when papers close up or reduce staff...the local coverage of what the county commissioners are trying to pull off next, school board meetings, this or that rotten little dealing, etc., diminishes. :P

Sad news for 6 OH small dailies...

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9433VEO0.htm

Here in SW Ohio, the Cincinnati Post closed up shop recently. I hate it when papers close up or reduce staff...the local coverage of what the county commissioners are trying to pull off next, school board meetings, this or that rotten little dealing, etc., diminishes. :P

Actually, it shouldn't impact the school board meetings and such (not like a layoff would), because not very many of them take place on weekends. What it WILL hammer is sports coverage, especially if those shops already don't print on Sunday.

The Post/Enquirer JOA is a whole nother topic ...

Actually, it shouldn't impact the school board meetings and such (not like a layoff would), because not very many of them take place on weekends. What it WILL hammer is sports coverage, especially if those shops already don't print on Sunday.

The Post/Enquirer JOA is a whole nother topic ...

I wasn't commenting on a small staff causing over-the-weekend sports reporting problems. I realize that school board meetings aren't held on weekends.

I was commenting on a bigger picture - when reporters don't show up, governmental agencies are in general, pleased. That happens during the week.

I'm not a fan of internet news. Reading the written work, free of the ad pop-ups and multi-colored bling, is to me, better.

I buy the Cincy Enquirer every day. I also view their web site...and the web version of the same story is almost always truncated. I also purchased the Post, daily.

I wonder about the fate of the printed media. Myself, I'd pay more per issue. But I don't know if that (higher per issue price) would be their salvation or their kiss of death.

I shook my head when the Courier-Express went under.

Edited by stuckincincy

I wonder about the fate of the printed media. Myself, I'd pay more per issue. But I don't know if that (higher per issue price) would be their salvation or their kiss of death.

I shook my head when the Courier-Express went under.

Sadly, I stopped wondering a while back, because the signs are clear ... and we get a new one every time Gannett or JRC or Lean Dean Singleton announces another round of layoffs because their profit margin isn't rosy enough to please their stockholders. One could even argue that there is no longer such a thing as a "free press" in many places, because the last papers left standing are beholden to their corporate masters. To wit, the powers that be at the Indy Star -- including the former HR guy who's now the publisher at the Rochester D&C -- demanded that the newsroom staff start writing "advertorials," promotional pieces disguised as news. (Thankfully, the union fought it and won.)

Today's updates: 3,000 more heads on the chopping block at Gannett, while Craig Dubow readies his golden parachute. Layoffs in Las Vegas. Buyouts in Jacksonville. And the Christian Science Monitor just announced that it's going online-only.

There will still be a limited place for newspapers for as long as dinosaurs like you and I are around, cincy ... but after that, who knows?

And then who watches the watchers?

(Sorry for the threadjack, GBID. Obviously, it's a subject that hits home with me.)