Holy crap! Did you hear? College football player

This is a stupid decision that has more to do with pride than intelligence. I played lots of sports and even semi-pro, but I know when to call it a day. Sure you love your sport, but you have to put it in perspective.

Glad someone agrees with me.

And I did read the article that Lori posted. Doesn't change my opinion that its a dumb move.

To me its a bone-headed move by a youth that will be regretted upon later on in life. Believe me I would know....not about lopping off fingers but lets say I did some stupid stuff to my body for sure. Thinking it was important or I was being manly. Sorry but I see this as stupid.

Sounds like the QB that said, when asked about his 3rd major knee injury in 3 seasons, "Of course, I'll be back. I want to play. I'll get a nice wheelchair when I'm done."

This is a stupid decision that has more to do with pride than intelligence. I played lots of sports and even semi-pro, but I know when to call it a day. Sure you love your sport, but you have to put it in perspective.

You're confusing YOUR values with his. You're not a college player in his prime with an undefeated season on the line, with your last opportunity to do what you love and will remember and care about for the rest of your life. You are not willing to make that choice, he was.

This isn't about toughness, pride nor stupidity, it's about pursuing important dreams and goals in life. Any such pursuit involves sacrifice of some form or another. This is just a little more tangible (and obvious) a sacrifice.

To me, it's admirable to strive for one's goals.

You're confusing YOUR values with his. You're not a college player in his prime with an undefeated season on the line, with your last opportunity to do what you love and will remember and care about for the rest of your life. You are not willing to make that choice, he was.

This isn't about toughness, pride nor stupidity, it's about pursuing important dreams and goals in life. Any such pursuit involves sacrifice of some form or another. This is just a little more tangible (and obvious) a sacrifice.

To me, it's admirable to strive for one's goals.

Yeah thats a good way to put it, I agree with you. Just like the kid said, he would regret it if he didn't cut the pinky off and be able to keep playing.