Warner almost retired last week???

Big Turk

There is an article that just came out today talking about how Warner was going to retire after the hit on Boldin:

Seven days before bringing renewed hope to the Valley of the Sun, Warner was at the lowest point of his professional career. Distressed over a terrifying head injury to teammate Anquan Boldin, the father of seven had decided he was done playing football, effective immediately.

“Something scary like that just makes you contemplate what’s really important and puts football in perspective,” Warner reflected after Sunday’s game. “It’s things like that make you say, ‘This game isn’t everything, and I’m not sure if I can do this anymore.’ Because the bottom line is that all I really want is to be able to go home to my wife and kids.”

A week earlier the deeply religious passer worried that Boldin might not have that privilege. Warner was in a dark and scary place as he rode a team bus from Giants Stadium, where the Cards had just been drubbed by the New York Jets, to the Newark Airport. Warner had been responsible for six turnovers in that 56-35 defeat, throwing three interceptions and losing three of four fumbles on a miserable afternoon, but that wasn’t what gave him the sick feeling in his stomach.

Flashing through his head on continuous loop was the high pass he’d floated to Boldin in the front of the Jets’ end zone with 27 seconds remaining, a futile throw that left the receiver sandwiched between defensive backs Kerry Rhodes and Eric Smith. A helmet-to-helmet shot from Smith snapped Boldin’s head backwards and left him motionless on the ground, with teammates fearing that he’d been paralyzed. (The NFL later suspended Smith for a game and fined him $50,000.)

Knocked momentarily unconscious, with blood spurting from his mouth, Boldin was strapped to a stretcher and taken to a local hospital. Warner, who had led a group of players from both teams in prayer on the field, left Giants Stadium without knowing whether his friend was permanently injured. He felt responsible, having purposely avoided similarly high-risk passes on the previous two plays before giving in and launching the ball that left the exceptionally tough Boldin motionless on the turf.

Sitting alone on the bus, praying under his breath while wiping away tears, Warner sent Brenda a text message that stunned her: This is it. I can’t do this anymore. It’s time to retire.

Recalled Brenda: “He meant, like, now.”

Its too bad for us he didn't follow thru with this...

Kurt is truly one of the good guys in the NFL...

There is an article that just came out today talking about how Warner was going to retire after the hit on Boldin:

Seven days before bringing renewed hope to the Valley of the Sun, Warner was at the lowest point of his professional career. Distressed over a terrifying head injury to teammate Anquan Boldin, the father of seven had decided he was done playing football, effective immediately.

“Something scary like that just makes you contemplate what’s really important and puts football in perspective,” Warner reflected after Sunday’s game. “It’s things like that make you say, ‘This game isn’t everything, and I’m not sure if I can do this anymore.’ Because the bottom line is that all I really want is to be able to go home to my wife and kids.”

A week earlier the deeply religious passer worried that Boldin might not have that privilege. Warner was in a dark and scary place as he rode a team bus from Giants Stadium, where the Cards had just been drubbed by the New York Jets, to the Newark Airport. Warner had been responsible for six turnovers in that 56-35 defeat, throwing three interceptions and losing three of four fumbles on a miserable afternoon, but that wasn’t what gave him the sick feeling in his stomach.

Flashing through his head on continuous loop was the high pass he’d floated to Boldin in the front of the Jets’ end zone with 27 seconds remaining, a futile throw that left the receiver sandwiched between defensive backs Kerry Rhodes and Eric Smith. A helmet-to-helmet shot from Smith snapped Boldin’s head backwards and left him motionless on the ground, with teammates fearing that he’d been paralyzed. (The NFL later suspended Smith for a game and fined him $50,000.)

Knocked momentarily unconscious, with blood spurting from his mouth, Boldin was strapped to a stretcher and taken to a local hospital. Warner, who had led a group of players from both teams in prayer on the field, left Giants Stadium without knowing whether his friend was permanently injured. He felt responsible, having purposely avoided similarly high-risk passes on the previous two plays before giving in and launching the ball that left the exceptionally tough Boldin motionless on the turf.

Sitting alone on the bus, praying under his breath while wiping away tears, Warner sent Brenda a text message that stunned her: This is it. I can’t do this anymore. It’s time to retire.

Recalled Brenda: “He meant, like, now.”

Its too bad for us he didn't follow thru with this...

Kurt is truly one of the good guys in the NFL...

After playing us, he might feel like he can play 10 more seasons... ;)

I used to live about 30 minutes from where the Rams used to have their training camp at Western Illinois University. I got to meet and talk to Kurt several times thru the years and he really was a nice guy. No ego at all. Just too bad he couldn't have flip flopped his weeks as QB.