A discussion of the "direct initiative"

UConn James

Link

This is actually the first I've heard of this here in the state (can't get the CT teevee market, weird as that is, and 'I am less well-read than the average bus driver' :ph34r: ). The article says the so-called "direct initiative" is used in 31 states. So, I'm wondering what the general thoughts on it are.

I believe this is the avenue that California used to recall Gray Davis?

Per the article, the feeling is that this would force votes on politically charged issues, e.g. same-sex marriage. Incidentally, in the article, supporters of both sides seem in favor of the constitutional convention (reference: CT already allows civil unions), which would add language allowing for and --- one would suppose ---outlining the process for invoking the direct initiative and the other machinations. But like opening a can of worms, there's sure to be other topics.

On its face, I think I'd support something that the people could use when they have politicians that fail to address serious issues. One sure sign to read is that it seems many politicians, special interest groups, union groups, etc. are lining up in opposition to the direct initiative, saying that it will clog up the system. The cynic in me thinks it's only natural that they'd oppose anything that might infringe on their cohorts' accumulation of power that's been wrested away from the People over time out of mind.

So, I'm asking for those in states with 'direct initiatives' and those with knowledge... What is its worth? What to expect from it? (Probably, not much).