Rules Experts

PTS

I re-watched that play a few times already and it looked like everyone was lined up correctly. What the hell does "ineligible receiver covered up by an eligible receiver" mean?

I believe he said eligible receiver covered by an eligible receiver.

Fowler, Butler, Walker, Royal were on the line. Reed was out in the slot and motioned in. Evans was split right but on the line.

Royal was an eligible receiver on the line of scrimmage, but was "covered up" by Evans, another eligible receiver, split out on his side.

In a normal formation with the split backfield, you would have Evans split left, Royal on the right and Reed off the line on the right.

I believe he said eligible receiver covered by an eligible receiver.

Fowler, Butler, Walker, Royal were on the line. Reed was out in the slot and motioned in. Evans was split right but on the line.

Royal was an eligible receiver on the line of scrimmage, but was "covered up" by Evans, another eligible receiver, split out on his side.

In a normal formation with the split backfield, you would have Evans split left, Royal on the right and Reed off the line on the right.

I think Reed was on the right, but otherwise, yeah.

Can only have 7 guys on the line of scrimmage, one receiver per side. Bills had 8 on the line, two on the right, one on the left.

I think Reed was on the right, but otherwise, yeah.

Can only have 7 guys on the line of scrimmage, one receiver per side. Bills had 8 on the line, two on the right, one on the left.

I meant that Reed was on the right also. He was outside of Royal, inside of Evans, but he was off the line of scrimmage.

I didn't pay much attention to the left side of the formation to know there was a WR split out left also. I'm thinking the 11 on the field were the 5 O-linemen, Edwards, Jackson and Lynch, Royal, Reed and Evans.