No huddle?

SouthernMan

The no-huddle isn't always the same as the hurry up offense, as I believe some people here are assuming. The K-Gun was effective because they didn't let the opposing defense make substitutions. They would still eat up a good chunk of the play clock while getting into formation though. Man, seems like a lifetime ago...

Our offense now doesn't care about time of possession, they just happen to have a quarterback who excels in the short/intermediate passing game, so thats what they utilize. Its all about scoring points. What coach would worry about whether or not they win the time of possession stat?

This couldn't be farther from the truth. Since Jauron got here, this has become a ball-control team. Fans may want to see them score points (and they damn well better if they plan on winning), but this team would probably value long, clock eating drives to short, feast or famine drives. Jauron wants to run the ball, play defense, play special teams, and go long once or twice to break their backs.

Our offense now doesn't care about time of possession, they just happen to have a quarterback who excels in the short/intermediate passing game, so thats what they utilize. Its all about scoring points. What coach would worry about whether or not they win the time of possession stat?

You're kidding right? Time of possession means everything when you are playing against a powerhouse offensive team.

However as has been said before, the hurry up does not mean you don't use up the play clock.It means you get back to the line of scrimage and prevent the defense from substituting players between downs. The other advantages are: giving your QB more time to read the D, and if the O line is disciplined you have a chance to draw more D offsides or neutral zone infractions.

I've always liked it , and now with the helmet com. for the QB. seems even better. I believe the helmet com. stays on till the playclock is down to 10 sec. Seems to me their is an advantage there!!!.

Actually I believe that we have seen the past few weeks will be somewhat emblematic of what lies ahead offensively speaking. The gameplan will continue to be pound the ball for the first three quarters. If we are ahead (as we were against Seattle) then continue as before. If behind, then unleash the full offense. Remember, we have the biggest OL in the NFL. It was very clear that the defenses in Jacksonville and Oakland both wiltered by the 4th quarter, which gave our offense a considerable advantage. I am not saying I agree 100% with this philosophy, but it appears to be what Dick Jauron believes in.