JP

nuklz2594

That's totally unrealistic. You expect some team to offer us a veteran QB and a mid/high round draft pick for Losman, who got benched in favor of an unknown rookie last season? They would need to like him enough to sign him upfront to a long term deal, otherwise it makes absolutely no sense. But who would sign him to a long term deal weeks before he learns the playbook well enough to even step on the field? That's crazy.

I never wrote that I "expected" anyone to offer us that kind of deal. Frankly, I agree with you that odds are against something like that happening. I agree that Losman's new team would have to work out an extension for him, but I don't see that as the kind of deal-breaker that you appear to. I think he'd sign a 2 - 3 year extension at a reasonable rate if he knew that his new team would put him first in line to be the starter. And I don't think that parting with that reasonable level of cash would be all that big a deal for a team that thought it was getting its quarterback problem solved.

The real obstacle to getting this deal done would be finding a team deluded enough or desperate enough to part with a 3rd round pick for Losman. The Vikings seem to have all the pieces in place to make a run for the SB, except for QB. So that makes them an obvious candidate for Losman's services, as long as they manage to get themselves into "see what they want to see" mode, instead of "see what's really there" mode. What are the odds of the Vikings or some other team making this kind of mistake? Slim, I'll admit, but probably more than zero.

I never wrote that I "expected" anyone to offer us that kind of deal. Frankly, I agree with you that odds are against something like that happening. I agree that Losman's new team would have to work out an extension for him, but I don't see that as the kind of deal-breaker that you appear to. I think he'd sign a 2 - 3 year extension at a reasonable rate if he knew that his new team would put him first in line to be the starter. And I don't think that parting with that reasonable level of cash would be all that big a deal for a team that thought it was getting its quarterback problem solved.

The real obstacle to getting this deal done would be finding a team deluded enough or desperate enough to part with a 3rd round pick for Losman. The Vikings seem to have all the pieces in place to make a run for the SB, except for QB. So that makes them an obvious candidate for Losman's services, as long as they manage to get themselves into "see what they want to see" mode, instead of "see what's really there" mode. What are the odds of the Vikings or some other team making this kind of mistake? Slim, I'll admit, but probably more than zero.

The reason no team will trade for JP is they know he will be a free agent next year and won't cost anything but his salary. Minnesota is a young team, unlike the Chargers or Pats* they can wait until next year.

For me, the question about JP is ... When he becomes a FA, will there be a team that wants to sign him as their #1 guy or have NFL GM's seen enough of JP to realize that he is nothing more than a halfway decent mentally defective backup QB? Me thinks the latter.

For me, the question about JP is ... When he becomes a FA, will there be a team that wants to sign him as their #1 guy or have NFL GM's seen enough of JP to realize that he is nothing more than a halfway decent mentally defective backup QB? Me thinks the latter.

I'm sure there will be at least a couple teams willing to have JP compete for the #1 job. If Trent goes down this year & JP plays it will either enhance or diminish his status going into free agency.

I'm sure there will be at least a couple teams willing to have JP compete for the #1 job. If Trent goes down this year & JP plays it will either enhance or diminish his status going into free agency.

I wouldn't mind keeping JP around as a career backup. The question is does JP believe that he deserves to start somewhere and will there be any takers? Apparently over this past off season, there was no one willing to give anything up to bring JP in as a #1.

I wouldn't mind keeping JP around as a career backup. The question is does JP believe that he deserves to start somewhere and will there be any takers? Apparently over this past off season, there was no one willing to give anything up to bring JP in as a #1.

Even if JP doesn't get an opportunity to compete for a starter he would never sign up as a backup QB here (unless he couldn't sign somewhere else as a backup). Being a former starter and getting demoted never sits well w/a player especially the QB.

As for trading JP, unless someone miraculously gave the Bills a #1 pick I would rather have him as a backup this year to TE and let him go for nothing then take anything less. Most teams need 2 qb's throughout the year and as of now he's our #2.

JP is a salvageable QB with talent. A team will need to make him the backup for a while, learn the correct decisions to make and have the system be right for him however. I hope THIS year holding the clipboard is helping him to learn to make better decisions.