53 paid - 47 played

SouthernMan

So what's up with that? Why on earth does the NFL limit the players that can be dressed on gameday to only 47? In other words, there are 6 players in street clothes picking up a full game check who are absolutely unable to contribute on the field.

I got to thinking how valuable those extra players could be during the course of games such as the 100 degree scorcher in Jacksonville.

Why does this rule exist - anyone know?

It levels the playing field in the event of injuries. Now, each team gets up to six injured players on the roster without playing short-handed; if every player was active, then the team with fewer injuries would have a significant advantage - even more than they do already.

Pow! indeed

Years ago, before IR became a season ender, teams would stash guys on IR who they didn't want to waive but weren't ready to play at the beginning of their rookie years. The inactives were part of a compromise that ended player stashing since if you put a guy on IR, his season ends and unless you're the Patriots, he's prohibited from practicing.

The Polian Bills were masters of this art. they put late round guys like Carlton Bailey & Keith McKeller on IR while they got them NFL ready by mid-season. McKeller played in strike games while on IR. One time the move bit them. They stashed CB Martin Mayhew on IR for the entire season & Washington scooped him up on plan B. Polian was livid according to the news stories when washington "stole" Mayhew.

The need another level of IR....8 week IR or something like that. Poz comes to mind.

R. Williams broke his arm on monday night. They are saying he will mis 3-4 weeks.

Poz broke his arm in week 3 and he was put on IR and done for the season.

I think I missed something.

R. Williams broke his arm on monday night. They are saying he will mis 3-4 weeks.

Poz broke his arm in week 3 and he was put on IR and done for the season.

I think I missed something.

Different types of breaks...I believe Poz literally broke the bone in half, Ricky just cracked his.

Years ago, before IR became a season ender, teams would stash guys on IR who they didn't want to waive but weren't ready to play at the beginning of their rookie years. The inactives were part of a compromise that ended player stashing since if you put a guy on IR, his season ends and unless you're the Patriots, he's prohibited from practicing.

The Polian Bills were masters of this art. they put late round guys like Carlton Bailey & Keith McKeller on IR while they got them NFL ready by mid-season. McKeller played in strike games while on IR. One time the move bit them. They stashed CB Martin Mayhew on IR for the entire season & Washington scooped him up on plan B. Polian was livid according to the news stories when washington "stole" Mayhew.

Ahem. Didn't the Bills "steal" Steve Tasker away from the Oilers in the same manner?

I don't think he was injured, just waived with the hope/expectation of bringing Tasker back.