Why I like McGahee (right now)

RCow

I didn't see clips of last Sunday's game until last night. Granted, they were clips but McGahee seemed to contribute on nearly every play. His mere presence on the field gives the Defense hesitation.

Don't get me wrong I like Henry, but I increasingly see him as a punishing but one demensional back (a la Antiwon Smith). When Henry's in the game the defense can pretty much guess a run or a linebacker can salivate on the pass rush.

When WMG is on the field the defense appears to have a critical moment of indecision - "what will WMG do?"

Pass catcher: When he swings out to the flat the linebackers noticably move his way and the lineman almost seem to pull up waiting for screen. Defense believes WMG will catch anything, but more important, he can destroy you in the open field. Travis is not nearly that threat, neither to catch the ball nor outrun a lone linebacker.

Blocker: Triple threat. For a rookie he's a very good blocker with excellent instincts for pressure. I can almost see Bledsoe relax with Willis back there, more confident he has a sure blocker to give him an extra second or two. Defense has to account for Willis and he's no pushover, but more important, he has the fluid motion to slip out of block for a screen or shovel pass -- in other words, the defenders not only have to take him on during the pass rush they have to keep an eye him -- thus slowing their defense.

Runner: Willis still is not 100% but you get the feeling linebackers and D-backs don't commit to the box on a run, they are a bit concerned Willis will break through the box and he'll be gone, thus they hold the second and third line of defense a bit further back to ensure Willis can't get behind them. It's perhaps an unfair oversimplification but defenses don't seem to worry about Travis outrunning them if he gets through the box, thus they can take the chance of constant overload.

Last, and again I didn't see the whole game, as the game went on the Dolphins felt more respect for Willis thus allowing the offense to become more productive.

I like him for a much shorter list:

He ran for 111 yards.

Henry, in four games, didnt run for 100 once.

Enough said. If the team wasnt trying to stroke henry's ego, Willis would start - no question.

The politics of pro sports is rediculous.

He ran for 111 yards.

Enough said. If the team wasnt trying to stroke henry's ego, Willis would start - no question.

80587[/snapback]

Yeah, I guess if you were looking for the Dummies guide to assess a running back that would work as well.

If MM was so worried about egos and money he wouldn't have benched Sam Adams.

I can't believe I am agreeing with you two.  Holy stevestojan, I think the end of the world is coming.

80612[/snapback]

You're right, the apocolypse is scheduled for November 2 at approximately 11:07PM. :lol:

Yeah, I guess if you were looking for the Dummies guide to assess a running back that would work as well.

If MM was so worried about egos and money he wouldn't have benched Sam Adams.

80606[/snapback]

I agree. People keep saying that MM is playing to the egos of people like Travis, and I think that's just bunch of mindless BS. They're not going to put Travis back in this week simply because we have to stroke his ego. Yes, Willis was good. I'd like someone to try putting them BOTH in the backfield at the same time.

Stroking egos. Please.

I didn't see clips of last Sunday's game until last night.  Granted, they were clips but McGahee seemed to contribute on nearly every play.  His mere presence on the field gives the Defense hesitation.

Don't get me wrong I like Henry, but I increasingly see him as a punishing but one demensional back (a la Antiwon Smith).  When Henry's in the game the defense can pretty much guess a run or a linebacker can salivate on the pass rush.

When WMG is on the field the defense appears to have a critical moment of indecision - "what will WMG do?"

Pass catcher:  When he swings out to the flat the linebackers noticably move his way and the lineman almost seem to pull up waiting for screen.  Defense believes WMG will catch anything, but more important, he can destroy you in the open field.  Travis is not nearly that threat, neither to catch the ball nor outrun a lone linebacker. 

Blocker: Triple threat.  For a rookie he's a very good blocker with excellent instincts for pressure.  I can almost see Bledsoe relax with Willis back there, more confident he has a sure blocker to give him an extra second or two.  Defense has to account for Willis and he's no pushover, but more important, he has the fluid motion to slip out of block for a screen or shovel pass -- in other words, the defenders not only have to take him on during the pass rush they have to keep an eye him -- thus slowing their defense. 

Runner: Willis still is not 100% but you get the feeling linebackers and D-backs don't commit to the box on a run, they are a bit concerned Willis will break through the box and he'll be gone, thus they hold the second and third line of defense a bit further back to ensure Willis can't get behind them.  It's perhaps an unfair oversimplification but defenses don't seem to worry about Travis outrunning them if he gets through the box, thus they can take the chance of constant overload. 

Last, and again I didn't see the whole game, as the game went on the Dolphins felt more respect for Willis thus allowing the offense to become more productive.

80583[/snapback]

If WMG ends up being a player like Keith Byers was, that would be fine with me.

He ran for 111 yards.

80587[/snapback]

I don't mean to be a jerk, but this has been bothering me for a long time. The word is not spelled "rediculous", it is spelled "ridiculous". You have made this spelling error at least ten times that I have noticed, and probably more. I realize plently of other people on the wall are guilty of chronic spelling errors, but you have 8,742 posts since Sept. 2003, so I am singling you out. Please learn to spell that word.

I don't mean to be a jerk, but this has been bothering me for a long time.  The word is not spelled "rediculous", it is spelled "ridiculous".  You have made this spelling error at least ten times that I have noticed, and probably more.  I realize plently of other people on the wall are guilty of chronic spelling errors, but you have 8,742 posts since Sept. 2003, so I am singling you out.  Please learn to spell that word.

80748[/snapback]

Ahhh... now I feel rediculous.

She was 15 hanging out at a pop machine at a gas station and said she was 18.

80758[/snapback]

I know, I was just bustin chops. . . He was obviously lied to. The question is, though, isnt he famous enough not to have to pick up girls at the nearest Sunoco?

I know, I was just bustin chops.  . . He was obviously lied to. The question is, though, isnt he famous enough not to have to pick up girls at the nearest Sunoco?

80761[/snapback]

Exactly. Hell go buy a hooker for a night.

BTW

News of Bills' first victory tempered with report of player facing rape charges.  The 13-10 victory of the Buffalo Bills (1-4) Thursday night, 10/18, over the Jacksonville Jaguars (2-3) was tempered somewhat with the news of possible pending rape charges against Bills running back Travis Henry.  The Buffalo News is reporting that Henry has retained a top criminal lawyer to assist him in cutting a deal to avoid the consequences of an alleged sexual encounter with a 15 year old girl.  Efforts are reported underway to reduce what could be a felony charge of rape to a misdemeanor charge.    The newspaper report describes the alleged sexual encounter as consenual and having taken place in Henry's Buffalo home more than a week ago.  (10/19/01) Update 10/28:  Henry was allowed to cop a plea, have charges reduced to "attempted sexual misconduct" and have no time to serve in jail.  He will continue playing for the Buffalo Bills

http://www.lockport-ny.com/sports.htm

I will be happy for him but as far as I am concerned the same goes for him as does for Willis....

Show me you can do it for consecutive games.......

80733[/snapback]

SHeesh, consecutive games now, give someone an inch, they want a mile. Never satisfied these bills fans. Can't we just enjoy a victory for a week sometime?

Also, wtf is up with someone mentioning keith byars??? If we wasted a 1st round pick for a kieth byars clone im gonna throw up on my keyboard.