Angelo Crowell.......

marauderswr80

Not really. He could've decided to have the scope and remove some of the cartilege and be ready in a few weeks. But since the FO reacted emotionally and immediately placed him on IR, now he's got plenty of time to rehab, so he may opt for repair, which takes a lot longer to recover from.

Again, he can negotiate a settlement once he's healthier and find a new team. He's not rushing because he's in no hurry to get back on the field and prove the Bills wrong.

Yes, but you neglected to note that he mentioned there is no incentive for the Bills to do that, and they won't be taking that course of action (injury settlement and release).

From what I understand, they can still give him a settlement and release him. They just can't do it and re-sign him.

From what I understand, they can still give him a settlement and release him. They just can't do it and re-sign him.

Mu understanding as well, and not gonna happen.

"WINDOW TO BRING CROWELL BACK CLOSED: After seeing the Saints reach an injury settlement with injured DT Hollis Thomas thereby making him a free agent and taking him off their injured reserve list, several Bills fans have asked me via e-mail if the Bills could have done this with Angelo Crowell.

The answer is the Bills could have done it up until yesterday, but the five day window to do it closed at that time. However, it’s not as clear cut as it might seem.

Yes, it would make Crowell an instant free agent enabling him to sign with any NFL team including the Bills when he was healthy again. The language of the injury settlement however, is the key.

A player can return to the team only after the number of weeks specified in the injury settlement plus an additional six weeks.

For example, if the settlement Hollis Thomas signed was for 5 weeks he would not be able to return to the Saints until the week 12 game due to the additional six week stipulation.

I believe the unpredictable nature of Crowell’s injury and rehab post-surgery likely removed any benefit for the Bills of taking such action, while also exposing him to 31 other teams prior to the free agency period in March."

Mu understanding as well, and not gonna happen.

"WINDOW TO BRING CROWELL BACK CLOSED: After seeing the Saints reach an injury settlement with injured DT Hollis Thomas thereby making him a free agent and taking him off their injured reserve list, several Bills fans have asked me via e-mail if the Bills could have done this with Angelo Crowell.

The answer is the Bills could have done it up until yesterday, but the five day window to do it closed at that time. However, it's not as clear cut as it might seem.

Yes, it would make Crowell an instant free agent enabling him to sign with any NFL team including the Bills when he was healthy again. The language of the injury settlement however, is the key.

A player can return to the team only after the number of weeks specified in the injury settlement plus an additional six weeks.

For example, if the settlement Hollis Thomas signed was for 5 weeks he would not be able to return to the Saints until the week 12 game due to the additional six week stipulation.

Here Brown is talking specifically about a player returning to his team, using the Saints as an example.

I believe the unpredictable nature of Crowell's injury and rehab post-surgery likely removed any benefit for the Bills of taking such action, while also exposing him to 31 other teams prior to the free agency period in March."

This is pure conjecture on Brown's part.

Here Brown is talking specifically about a player returning to his team, using the Saints as an example.

This is pure conjecture on Brown's part.

Nonetheless, it doesn't explain why they felt the need to place him on IR within hours. They were pissed about his surprise decison, plain and simple. He could have helped us for the majority of this year.

Nonetheless, it doesn't explain why they felt the need to place him on IR within hours. They were pissed about his surprise decison, plain and simple. He could have helped us for the majority of this year.

Who knows? As I said, once he gets surgery, IF he gets surgery, we'll know more about his timetable for recovery.

Who knows? As I said, once he gets surgery, IF he gets surgery, we'll know more about his timetable for recovery.

As I said, that won't tell us anything. If he has the option of just cleaning up with the scope, he could've been back in weeks. Now that he has no chance of playing this season, circumstances have changed and that may change his decision making process. Since being placed on IR, his whole perspective is probably different. He is out for the season, there is no need to get back on the field asap. Therefore, he may opt for the more extensive repair of the cartilage which takes much longer to rehab from. If he elects to go that route, that doesn't necessarily mean that's what he was going to do if he still had the option of playing this year.