Alot of success running the ball against SEA...

Phlegm Alley

Note: The videos I linked all go to a Marshawn on Marshawn video, however, the plays that I critique are in the Marshawn Lynch gallery list below.

Last week was great. We were able to run the ball successfully on a number of occasions and then there were times that we didn't look like the bruising kinda O-Line that this offense was built around to succeed. It seemed like a lot of the time there wasn't enough "space" for Marshawn to find a hole and he often just slammed into the back of the line (ie the first series of the game when we had a 3rd and 1 and we lost a yard).

Throughout the game, I noticed that we seemed to be more successful when running out of a 3 or 4 WR set with no FB and Royal was a HUGE reason why were able to run successfully. Case in point this video right here:

1st video

Notice how the play is designed to go left, but thanks to the impressive block to the inside that Royal provides, the cutback is made available and Marshawn is able to take advantage of it.

In Marshawn's TD run, Royal is lined up as a FB to the left of Edwards and Marshawn to the right along with 3 WRs. Royal blocks the blitzing LOLB and the RG Butler was able to get to block his initial counterpart and then spring into the second level sealing off a nice little hole for Lynch.

Marshawn's TD run

The last video scares me. We were backed up on our own goaline with a 1 WR, 2 TE, and a FB set. The play was designed to go over RG but Barnes and Butler both got completely blown up resulting in Marshawn having to cut back left. Robert Royal's block sealed the outside for him allowing Lynch to get 18 yards on what seemed to be a broken play. On top of that, Walker didn't even get off the line until AFTER the ball was snapped, pretty much staying in the crouched position for a half a second as the play was run which makes the gain even more impressive.

Marshawn's goaline run

I think we can be successful running the ball against JAX, however it needs to be out of a spread type offense. I know that Schonert was mixing things up a lot and giving the defense a lot of different looks, however, I think that Edwards needs to be successful first in completing passes to the WRs in this formation in order to loosen up the D and give Marshawn some more holes.

Kudos to Royal and Evans for playing a heck of game and being integral to our success on the ground.

Let me know what you guys think.

Didn't see Evans block particularly well but both Royal and Reed were blowing up LBs.

I remember very nice blocking on two plays by Evans. The TD as others have mentioned and one around the right side. :thumbsup: to Evans.

Also regarding Evans...Sterling Sharpe (NFL Network gave the Bills big props yesterday and both Sharpe & Baldy picked the Bills over J-ville) talked about how the Bills (Turk) are moving Evans around instead of lining him up wide left on every play. They showed him catching a pass from the right slot, right outside and of course left outside. Good job Turk. Good job Evans. Good job Trent.

Baldinger(sp?) talked about our strength up the middle--Stroud/Williams/Poz/Whitner/Simpson. With the Jags hurting up the middle he expects plenty of penetration and blitzing.

Didn't see Evans block particularly well but both Royal and Reed were blowing up LBs.

I noticed that Evans made a lot of very good blocks throughout the game. He's really become a well-rounded receiver who gives good support in the run game. We need to keep him around a long time.

The Bills stretched the field with Evans & Royal. Ive been saying it since last year Robert Royal can stretch the football field given the opportunity.

Now if we can just see Hardy in the mix with things I will be happy. Remember he was suppose to draw coverage away from Evans when we drafted him? I didnt see Hardy and Evans on the field together last week. I want to see more Hardy in the redzone.