Super serious football question

Beerball

Last night, GB vs. MN. Rodgers drops back and tosses a pass for an apparent TD.

Oops...lineman illegally downfield.

How can this be you say, it was a quick pass, QB did not scramble out of the pocket?

Then Jaws explains that the QB and WR switched out of a running play into that pass based on the coverage. It was one of those silent communication thingies...you know, check with me & if I wiggle my nose you run a streak. But, nobody else on the team knows that he's checked out of a run into a pass. Hence...linemen were downfield executing what they thought were run blocks negating the TD.

WTF do you do that? Aren't you asking for a penalty? Risk/reward kind of thing?

(oh, almost forgot Favre)

I don't know the specific rules on downfield OLs, but I'm thinking you might be right about it being a gamble. If he threw a quick pass, perhaps the idea would be that the play would be in full development before any OLs had a chance to get too far downfield. But like I said, I don't know the specifics on that rule (it always struck me as stupid anyway).

I respect Jaws' input but I question this theory. The 'winky' thing has disaster written on it changing from run to pass for just that reason. The NFL 'vocabulary' is so ornate and team specific that something has to be said that tells the OL run vs. pass. Typically it's a part of the female anatomy, but all teams have some 'name' for this.

As for the play in question, the Packer guard just came in the game and I think he just screwed up. Too bad, Great pass!