lose most productive player on defense and best olineman/only pbowler.

truth on hold

Offseason moves could account for as many as 3 wins this season. That would give Bills best case record of 10 & 6. Losing Crowell and Peters could account for as many as 2 losses. As much as I'd like to think otherwise, I think Bills will finish 8 & 8.

>>> and What?

Im upset over the Crowell thing for one reason and one reason only.......The TIME. Why wasnt this decision made earlier in the year when he first knew about his knee. Waiting a few days before the opener kinda slaps your team in the face. My personal opinion, is that with Mitchell & Poz in there I think Ellison will do just fine. Last year when he was in there he was not that bad.

And for Peters.......ive forgotten he was even on the Bills roster!

Call me crazy but I think he decided on the surgery after meeting with the team docs, which he did, because it was necessary. Either that or just for the heckuvit, he decided to endanger the most important year of his professional career.

Losing Crowell is going to contribute directly to two losses the team otherwise wouldn't have?!? Using your logic, if Ko, Posluszny, Denney, etc. had been healthy all of last year we would have racked up 10... 11?... wins. HAHAHAHAHHA... laughable!!!

Unless you're using an average linebacker's departure as a forum to vent some frustration over the Peters situation?

Wow, we've really gone off the deep end as a fan base. Embarassing...

Ko, Poz and Denney never put up the #'s Crowell has. You may say some like Poz didn't have the chance too, but it doesn't matter, he's untested. Crowell had 126 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 fumble recoveries and 1 INT last year. No other Bill was even close to those #'s.

Call me crazy but I think he decided on the surgery after meeting with the team docs, which he did, because it was necessary. Either that or just for the heckuvit, he decided to endanger the most important year of his professional career.

I don't know. Jauron expressed surprise he had had surgery. Wouldn't you think the coach would know ahead of time? And even if he found out late but knew it was the right thing, would he say anything about being surprised to the press? Maybe the Bills were advocating surgery for months and Crowell said no, only to change his mind 3 days before the season.

I doubt we'll ever know, but if Crowell really did spring a surprise on the Bills with the surgery, then I think the IR was the right move. Not only did Crowell's actions screw the Bills and Ellison by messing up prep time, it put the Bills in a bad situation going forward. They now have to find another linebacker. To get him on the roster, they'd have to either IR the guy who has (possibly) been screwing with them, or cut someone else (the lowest man on the depth chart, that isn't a linebacker). This someone else has been working his behind off, and if Crowell really did pull a fast one, then the Bills made the right move.

it's a relative term. he wasn't perfect, nobody is (except favre according to madden.) but if he wasn't the most productive defender, you tell me who was. whitner? never. schoebel? not last year. denney? LOL

Yes, Whitner. Typing Never after his name doesn't change the fact that he is the leader of that defense and a productive playmaker who does not point fingers at other players when he makes a mistake. Crowell's true character has come out, and it's unfortunate.

Agree with the part in bold, don't know about the other part. But he's definitely overrated, I say better to let him go now than overpay him later, especially if he's a gimp. I just hope that if it looks like Ellison will tank, they don't waste any time, make a quick move with another team, and get him out of there.

I wish I could report to you exactly when he said this - must have been on ESPN or NFL Network - but there was a play last year where he hopped up in a hole incorrectly and resulted in a long TD run (I think it was the Jaguars game - Fred Taylor). The next week he did one of those appearances and he was asked about it and he emphatically insisted he was in the right spot and that someone else was in the wrong spot. Even if this was true (I don't see how it could be - as the OLB he had contain on that play, no question), you don't say this. Thankfully he did not try to name the player (probably because there was no player), but had he done that as well I would've been up front calling for his immediate release back then.

I don't know. Jauron expressed surprise he had had surgery. Wouldn't you think the coach would know ahead of time? And even if he found out late but knew it was the right thing, would he say anything about being surprised to the press? Maybe the Bills were advocating surgery for months and Crowell said no, only to change his mind 3 days before the season.

I doubt we'll ever know, but if Crowell really did spring a surprise on the Bills with the surgery, then I think the IR was the right move. Not only did Crowell's actions screw the Bills and Ellison by messing up prep time, it put the Bills in a bad situation going forward. They now have to find another linebacker. To get him on the roster, they'd have to either IR the guy who has (possibly) been screwing with them, or cut someone else (the lowest man on the depth chart, that isn't a linebacker). This someone else has been working his behind off, and if Crowell really did pull a fast one, then the Bills made the right move.

I think with an imagination fertile enough, we could all come up with a scenario that makes somebody look bad in this but I am just going with what we do know though I acknowledge that we don't know everything.

I think that we know, barring some sort of serious mental defect, that Crowell wouldn't endanger the most important year of his professional life unless, after hearing from the docs the other day, he felt he had no choice. That is at the core of it, an injury that didn't get better that requires surgery. None of those things is Crowell's fault. I can't imagine that Crowell "knew" he had to have surgery before playing and just decided to delay it until the worst possible time for him as well as the team.

On the other side of the coin, I don't think there is enough information to condemn the team for the decision they made in response to this unfortunate development. It does look vindictive but these guys are pros, they want to win first and foremost so I gotta beleive they put him on IR for sound reasons.

I think with an imagination fertile enough, we could all come up with a scenario that makes somebody look bad in this but I am just going with what we do know though I acknowledge that we don't know everything.

I think that we know, barring some sort of serious mental defect, that Crowell wouldn't endanger the most important year of his professional life unless, after hearing from the docs the other day, he felt he had no choice. That is at the core of it, an injury that didn't get better that requires surgery. None of those things is Crowell's fault. I can't imagine that Crowell "knew" he had to have surgery before playing and just decided to delay it until the worst possible time for him as well as the team.

On the other side of the coin, I don't think there is enough information to condemn the team for the decision they made in response to this unfortunate development. It does look vindictive but these guys are pros, they want to win first and foremost so I gotta beleive they put him on IR for sound reasons.

I agree with all that. Crowell was trying to play thru pre-season in hope he didn't need surgery. I think maybe it became so apparent that surgery was unavoidable it also became apparent it the worst case was more serious than previously thought, and AC was looking at worst case scenario. bills probably figured he'd be gone for at least half season and if he returned wouldnt be very productive