Vulture Watch

No but the title of the thread does imply that if you know of anyone interesting it would be nice to share for conversation given that it is that time of year. I didn't really intend to be the only person posting players. If I wanted a McDougle thread I would have made a McDougle thread.

It's duly noted that you don't think McDougle will do anything in the league. Got anyone else to discuss or are you spent?

I'm hardly spent. I don't see any player from another team who would make the roster over a guy who has been with the Bills and knows the system.

I'm hardly spent. I don't see any player from another team who would make the roster over a guy who has been with the Bills and knows the system.

Fair enough.

I'm not overly thrilled with our depth at OLB or Safety or offensive tackle, but I don't know the fringe players or unheralded rookies from other teams well enoughh to know if I should be looking for anyone of interest in these areas. As many of us are from other cities I thought maybe some people would have some insight.

Another interesting possible cut from the Eagles is King Dunlap. he's a 7th rounder from this season and he's competing with former 2nd rounder Winston Justice for a spot. Justice has been terrible, in pre-season and during the year last year. Osi Umenyora had 6 sacks off Justice in one game. Dunlap is guy they might try to sneak through to PS who is their version of Demetrius Bell. He's young, he's big and he's raw but he's interesting. He's worth a spot on our PS if he's cut at minimum.

When was the last time the Bills picked up a player cut by another team prior to week 1? The only one I can think of was Lawyer Milloy.

Last year they brought in some guys as injury replacements, but that was after week one.

I think if the Bills play the 'vulture', it will be for the practice squad.

Good post, Falstaff.

The Bills will probably only keep 4 DE's, maybe 5. But what I've noticed in recent years is the Bills like to keep 4 DE's and 4 DT's, and then keep an additional 5th guy that can swing back and forth from both positions if injuries occur. That player has been Jason Jefferson.

I don't see the Bills cutting Schobel, Kelsay, Denney or Ellis, so that mean's if we grabbed McDougal or Smith they'd have to be on the team as our 5th defensive end. To carry a 5th defensive end that doesn't also play defensive tackle or special teams is a complete waste, especially since we need all the roster spots we can get with the injuries.

I've seen a lot of Tony Hunt and I never understood what people saw in him. I watched him a lot at Penn State, but he just didn't do anything for me.

Oh, and to add what I forgot to my last post, a player I am looking at is FS Eugene Wilson from the Buccs. I saw on kffl that he is on the bubble for making the final roster there. A few years ago I thought he was one of the better young safeties in the game. I don't know if it was injuries, or what, but for some reason he isn't playing up to par. I don't have much faith in our backup safeties at all, and I think Wilson would definitely be an upgrade and add some veteran experience there.

Oh, and to add what I forgot to my last post, a player I am looking at is FS Eugene Wilson from the Buccs. I saw on kffl that he is on the bubble for making the final roster there. A few years ago I thought he was one of the better young safeties in the game. I don't know if it was injuries, or what, but for some reason he isn't playing up to par. I don't have much faith in our backup safeties at all, and I think Wilson would definitely be an upgrade and add some veteran experience there.

plus, we could pick his brain for some new england strategies/plays/etc

Good post, Falstaff.

The Bills will probably only keep 4 DE's, maybe 5. But what I've noticed in recent years is the Bills like to keep 4 DE's and 4 DT's, and then keep an additional 5th guy that can swing back and forth from both positions if injuries occur. That player has been Jason Jefferson.

That's kind of what I was thinking as well but Jefferson is expendable to me. I know he nominally plays DE and DT but you don't really want him on the field at either. At least McDougle or Smith would be another legit pass rush threat. I think the Eagles are trying to trad eone of them to prevent the Giants form getting them since they have a gaping hole at DE.

I'm curious about Eugene Wilson as well, he sort of fell of the planet after a meteoric rise. He might be worth a back up safety spot assuming he's healthy and reasonably interested in playing football.