McKelvin....is he suppose to be a good tackler?

Hardy Pyle

I went back and watched the game...is he suppose to be a good tackler? I saw him miss quite a few tackles this game.

And Chris Ellis sure flashed alot, looks like we may have a player once he gets some of his rookies mistakes out the way.

Apparently not. Here are his negatives from one of his draft profiles.

Negatives: Lacks ideal bulk, but has good muscle definition...Does not always play up to his timed speed, but does show good urgency to close (hip flexibility is just adequate)...Needs to be more alert on the field, as he will be fooled by pump fakes and play-action...Lacks the overall strength to be a physical tackler and needs to show better route anticipation; eyes the backfield too long rather than mirroring the receiver...Not the type that can naturally locate the ball, but will get there once he finds it...Must refine his backpedal technique, as he opens his hips too soon and comes out of his pedal early (would get a better break if he was not so tall in his stance, as it narrows his hips, preventing him from getting a fluid turn on the ball)...When he spends too much time looking into the backfield when playing deep in the zone, receivers have had success getting behind him...Must take better angles closing on the ball and, when a receiver gets behind him, he struggles to recover...[b]More of a drag-down type of tackler, but he needs to face up and wrap better (will take a side, letting receivers break his arm tackles)...[/b]Must do a better job of securing the ball and protecting it on returns (leaves it exposed, resulting in costly fumbles...Willing in run force, but lacks the tackle technique and power to be effective playing at line, getting washed out often by bigger blockers in a crowd...Has adequate hands, but he needs to do a better job of extending for the ball (uses his body as a crutch and several of his pass deflections could have been interceptions if he caught the ball outside his frame).

Hopefully he will improve in the NFL. As far as Ellis goes, I agree with you. I like what I have seen so far, especially the almost sack/forced fumble on Leftwich.

But it is one of areas that he can learn through practice and playing time. He has ballhawk cover skills, which you can't teach. Tackling will come with experience. Of all the negatives - and I agree with you that he needs a lot of work on it - I think this is an area that he can get better at quickly.

And good point on Ellis. He has a lot of raw pass rushing talent. He could be a very good addition to our pass rush (which i think needs serious help).

Apparently not. Here are his negatives from one of his draft profiles.

Negatives: Lacks ideal bulk, but has good muscle definition...Does not always play up to his timed speed, but does show good urgency to close (hip flexibility is just adequate)...Needs to be more alert on the field, as he will be fooled by pump fakes and play-action...Lacks the overall strength to be a physical tackler and needs to show better route anticipation; eyes the backfield too long rather than mirroring the receiver...Not the type that can naturally locate the ball, but will get there once he finds it...Must refine his backpedal technique, as he opens his hips too soon and comes out of his pedal early (would get a better break if he was not so tall in his stance, as it narrows his hips, preventing him from getting a fluid turn on the ball)...When he spends too much time looking into the backfield when playing deep in the zone, receivers have had success getting behind him...Must take better angles closing on the ball and, when a receiver gets behind him, he struggles to recover...More of a drag-down type of tackler, but he needs to face up and wrap better (will take a side, letting receivers break his arm tackles)...Must do a better job of securing the ball and protecting it on returns (leaves it exposed, resulting in costly fumbles...Willing in run force, but lacks the tackle technique and power to be effective playing at line, getting washed out often by bigger blockers in a crowd...Has adequate hands, but he needs to do a better job of extending for the ball (uses his body as a crutch and several of his pass deflections could have been interceptions if he caught the ball outside his frame).

Hopefully he will improve in the NFL. As far as Ellis goes, I agree with you. I like what I have seen so far, especially the almost sack/forced fumble on Leftwich.

all of this sounds like stuff that can be taught in his first year....some of it sounds like the Bills weight room will cure also...If he hits the weight room with the right trainers and the coaches stay on him and coach tackling techniques McKelvin could be a dominant CB in the NFL..we'll see what happens and how he changes from this season to next