My journey through America

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

I just got to the US last week, here for a couple of weeks, and this is what I have noticed... I've been through Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, and North Carolina.

Ohio is pretty divided, as the polls suggest. A lot of rural residents are pro-Bush not only in Ohio, but in Illinois as well. By going by posted signs and talking to people, a LOT more activity is going on in the midwest.

The election is a lot more clear-cut in Indiana, Tennessee, and North Carolina, where Bush seems to have a lot of supporters who actively show their support, and Kerry signs are few and far between.

Kentucky really didn't seem to me to be near as interested in the election as its southern neighbors. It had the least number of overt showings of presidential paraphrenalia. I found that to be very suprising.

For the first time, I have read instances by which people are tearing down and defacing presidential signs, which to me shows the bitter divisiveness that this race brings.

It's going to be so close, and the polls obviously cannot be trusted at this stage.

This election is UNPRECEDENTED... TWO super-close elections back to back.

I'll be in Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and New York this week. I'll post the second part of my trip after I am back in Turkey. November 3rd (due to Central European Time Zone) can't get here soon enough... we're almost at 1,100. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: I just get so angry.

I just got to the US last week, here for a couple of weeks, and this is what I have noticed... I've been through Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, and North Carolina.

Ohio is pretty divided, as the polls suggest. A lot of rural residents are pro-Bush not only in Ohio, but in Illinois as well. By going by posted signs and talking to people, a LOT more activity is going on in the midwest.

The election is a lot more clear-cut in Indiana, Tennessee, and North Carolina, where Bush seems to have a lot of supporters who actively show their support, and Kerry signs are few and far between.

Kentucky really didn't seem to me to be near as interested in the election as its southern neighbors. It had the least number of overt showings of presidential paraphrenalia. I found that to be very suprising.

For the first time, I have read instances by which people are tearing down and defacing presidential signs, which to me shows the bitter divisiveness that this race brings.

It's going to be so close, and the polls obviously cannot be trusted at this stage.

This election is UNPRECEDENTED... TWO super-close elections back to back.

I'll be in Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and New York this week. I'll post the second part of my trip after I am back in Turkey. November 3rd (due to Central European Time Zone) can't get here soon enough... we're almost at 1,100.  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  I just get so angry.

75157[/snapback]

Speaking of the fight song didn't you say you'd get me some lyrics? Or a line on a recording? Any luck? I don't mean to be a pest but I would love to give a copy to my husband for Christmas, he going around bellowing "Go BILLLSSS" because that's the only part he knows, poor thing.

He was just a Cowboy fan too long! :lol:

I was in Canada this weekend, Ottawa specifically. The hatred for President Bush is overt. We stopped telling people we were from NY because the next statement always went to the President and the war.

One struck me in particular, my wife was asked by a store owner "Doesn't your President understand the danger he's putting the rest of us in? How could a nation as intelligent and powerful as the United States stand behind such a man."

Not a criticism, I'm just relaying a story.

I travel all over the Midwest every week on business, and this is what I have seen.

1) Ohio ( GWB by 2% - 3%)

Obviously I live here so I have a pretty good handle on the state. As mentioned above, the rural areas are huge GWB supporters, and the northern cities are pro kerry (or ABB) This has not changed since I have lived here. I think that GWB has the edge simply because the base is very motivated. they take theiur responsibility seriously, and they will turn out. I have never seen our base so motivated.

2) Indiana ( GWB in a walk )

Strong GWB......nothing more to say, they have done a great job in this state of remaining basically normal people.

3) Kentucky (GWB in a walk )

the are from another planet. Fourtunately they are strong conservative supporters. This is based on a simple fact. They liked being talkd to....not down to.

4) Wisconsin

I travel here about two or three times a month. My main customers are in Madison (very liberal city) and Milwaukee. I can not say for sure who is in the lead but I can tell you that I have not seen so many Bush/Cheney signs anywhere else. It seems like every other yard has one. Clearly the ratio is 20 - 1 against kerry/edwards signs. I don't know what this will translate into, but it is the biggest surprise to me. I thought going into the elction that this state was a lock for kerry. It may still be, but I think it is way too close to call. Again think this is a matter of GWB getting out their supporters.

5) Michigan

My Corporate offices are in Michigan so I am there about once a week. I see pretty much 50/50 as far as signs go, but I do not get the sense of intensity here as I do in the other close states. I don't know what that is, maybe its just me. My feeeling is that kerry takes Michigan, but it will not be easy. GWB forced kerry to spend more time and money here then he wanted to.

Summary: I amd sick and tired of the political ads from both parties here. I have no idea who they are trying to presuade. I know nobody that is even remotely undecided. All or most are simply waiting for the 2nd of Nov. The ads seem to be mean and useless from both sides equally.

Summary: I amd sick and tired of the political ads from both parties here. I have no idea who they are trying to presuade. I know nobody that is even remotely undecided. All or most are simply waiting for the 2nd of Nov. The ads seem to be mean and useless from both sides equally.

75352[/snapback]

Well said. :lol:

Summary: I amd sick and tired of the political ads from both parties here. I have no idea who they are trying to presuade. I know nobody that is even remotely undecided. All or most are simply waiting for the 2nd of Nov. The ads seem to be mean and useless from both sides equally."

What's truly sad is the tens of millions of dollars that are being spent to jam this useless drivel down everyones throat. Luckily I live in NY and neither party is spending much here. I can't believe the horror show that Ohio must be.

Summary: I amd sick and tired of the political ads from both parties here. I have no idea who they are trying to presuade. I know nobody that is even remotely undecided. All or most are simply waiting for the 2nd of Nov. The ads seem to be mean and useless from both sides equally."

What's truly sad is the tens of millions of dollars that are being spent to jam this useless drivel down everyones throat.  Luckily I live in NY and neither party is spending much here.  I can't believe the horror show that Ohio must be.

75427[/snapback]

While the national election in Alaska is not in doubt, we are inundated with ads from Tony Knowles and Lisa Murkowski who are running for the Senate. Thankfully I don't watch much network TV but they have made turning on the radio a horrifying experience.

No matter which of them wins, we'll have bigger and more intrusive government.

No matter which of them wins, we'll have bigger and more intrusive government.

75448[/snapback]

Oh my gosh somehow the liberals have infiltrated the Alaskan Republican Party? :lol:

Darin I am with you since the Republicans have controlled both houses and the senate the spending continues. I have yet to meet a politician from either party who is TRUELY for smaller government. Politician = pork lover

Oh my gosh somehow the liberals have infiltrated the Alaskan Republican Party? :o

Darin I am with you since the Republicans have controlled both houses and the senate the spending continues.    I have yet to meet a politician from either party who is TRUELY for smaller government.    Politician = pork lover

75483[/snapback]

Ron Paul is the only current member of Congress who doesn't fall into the category.

I'm not a member of the Republican party. Never have been.