Going to see DEVO tomorrow night

I expect to get some grief but I always liked DEVO. Maybe they didn't revolutionize Rock-n-Roll, but they've had an impact on TV, films and commercials. (Mark M list of credits - Bob M. list of credits) The spuds are pushing 60 now but I'm still looking forward to seeing them. They are only playing a handful of US dates this summer. I'll let you know how they sound.

PTR

I expect to get some grief but I always liked DEVO. Maybe they didn't revolutionize Rock-n-Roll, but they've had an impact on TV, films and commercials. (Mark M list of credits - Bob M. list of credits) The spuds are pushing 60 now but I'm still looking forward to seeing them. They are only playing a handful of US dates this summer. I'll let you know how they sound.

PTR

No grief from me. They were an honorable, talented group...and as you cite, some went on to become big names.

PTR

I wonder if they'll play "wip-it"?

Actually, Devo never did much for me but I do know a few hard core Devo fans.

I wonder if they'll play "wip-it"?

Actually, Devo never did much for me but I do know a few hard core Devo fans.

Actually I saw a recent set list and, yes, they do "Whip It". But I was impressed at how much early material they do, including a number of songs from the under-appreciated 2nd album "Duty Now For The Future." Songs like "Blockhead", "Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA" and "Wiggly World." They also do most of the first album.

I also expect they will do their new song "Work It Out" that was the campaign theme for Dell XPS laptops. I only recently discovered that song was produced by the Teddybears, a lesser-known but influential band/producers/marketing gurus from Sweden.

PTR

Here is the review: First let me say my wife and I have seen Devo several times earlier in the career when they were a lot younger and more energetic. A Devo show used to feature several costume changes, video interaction, and Mark Mothersbaugh just bouncing around the stage like a ball. So it was a little bit of a letdown to see a group of guys in the 50's trying to live up to their legacy.

That said, they still put on a solid show. They are all older and Mark is no longer the bouncing ball, but his voice is still there and they put on a tight, fast-paced set (about 80 minutes) where they hit most of their classics and a few nuggets.

The show started with an introduction by "General Boy" (aka Mark and Bob M's dad.) telling fans to "give the past the slip" because it's time for DEVO. That led into a frenetic video montage capturing Devo at every phase crunched to about 90 seconds. All the while a synthesizer built up into the rhythm of "That's Good" which opened the show when the video hit its climax. The band ran through their "synth" hits in rapid order, dressed in their trademark radiation suits and flower pots. They included "Girl U Want", "Peek-A-Boo" and of course "Whip It".

Then the spuds tore off their suits and revealed black DEVO tees, shorts, and kneepads. (Their only costume change). That also marked a shift from the synth songs to the guitar rockers. People underestimate Devo as a rock-n-roll band but that is really what they are. Lead, rhythm, bass, and drums, with a little synth thrown in. Bob Mothersbaugh is a terrific guitarist and he flashed his riffs several times. This set included "Secret Agent Man", "Mongoloid", "Satisfaction", "Jocko Homo", "Smart Patrol/Mr DNA", "Blockhead", and "Freedom of Choice".

They said thanks and left the stage but only for a breather. A video of the "Devo Corporate Anthem" played and the band returned for an encore set that included "Gates of Steel", "Uncontrollable Urge", "Gut Feeling/Slap Your Mammy". The concert ended somewhat flat when "Booji Boy" himself (Mark in mask) came out to sing "Beautiful World" in his Boy falsetto voice. I kept hoping he'd pull of the mask and break into his real voice but he stayed in character the whole song. I heard others as we left saying that ruined a good song.

So that was it. The house was only 2/3 full. I hope some of you took advantage of the free tickets they were giving out. I should mention that Tom Tom Club opened the show. Talk about age, Tina Weymouth and Chris Franz are 58 and 57 respectively, but Tina especially looked great in a green mini-dress, and they can still play.

PTR