General "holdout" question

3. The downsides on not making a deal right now are likely substantial (even though he stupidly himself agreed to these terms without some escalators) as even if he continues to play well and develop, he has sold these years to the Bills for substantially less than the current market value.

Those years were a remarkable steal for management... its a shame that the deal was so good for the Bills that it is almost too embarrassing for all involved. Even if he didn't (doesn't) progress he could still have stumbled into Langston Walker type money at any point.

There is something to be said for keeping one's word but everybody sees the elephant in the room. Might as well deal with it.

Schobel set the precedence for the entire Bills organization. He had a pro-bowl year, Kelsey was signed to a larger contract, and there was three years left on Schobel's contract. Schobel quietly discussed his contract dissatisfaction with OBD, then he didn't show up any off-season training, nor OTAs, and I think a few days of training camp.

It looks like that Peters is following this same model, except......I'm not sure how much discussion he did have with OBD indicating his new contract desires.

I guess the things that make me nervous, and the rest of Bills management, look at Schobel.....he still doesn't come in for any off-season training. I think OBD WAS looking at the big payday as an additional leadership position that Scobel SHOULD present to the rest of the young players....."football character" i.e. practicing WITH the team instead of doing the University of Miami kind of deal. Schobel still shows nothing in this type of leadership role; thus, the Bills are short changed. Plus let's not forget, Schobel definitely had an off season last year. His numbers were down and he showed a lack of focus he did demonstrate in previous seasons.

Now.....let's take a look at the way Buffalo has treated their "star" quality linemen in the past, johanass jennings and fat mike williams. johanass was playing for his fat payday in his last season. The single season where he missed realitively little time "injured". All his previous seasons, jennings demonstrated low reliability. When jennings did score his big pay day, his reliabilite went in the toilet again. It appeared that desire to play was lost. Where is he now....unemployed? I think the 49ers cut him, or stated he is on VERY thin ice.

Fat Mike.... obviously he got a great contract and his bonuses were split in two segments. In a way smart because OBD got a view of his football character without having to pay up an upfront bonus. He really never showed too much in his first two years, but the "potential" was there and he was learning the NFL game. After he got his second bonus, which was a real piece of change, he had zero motivation to dao anything more. Phantom injuries continues to appear, he was tried at guard, maybe a few years too late, after McNally said he should be moved to guard. Still, zero. Finally....he was cut. The clown was picked up by Jacksonville with more bonus money and still the phantom injuries appeared. Today???? Laughing his was to the bank with a pit stop at Hardee's drive up window.

I look at both positions, Peters and OBD: Peters being undervalued and possible injury before the big payday; OBD has their history of overpaying for underachieving, unmotivated "stars". Both COULD win by paying Peters what a pro bowl Left Tackle makes, or even a rookie #1; but, it really depends on what kind of person Jason Peters really is, fat mike williams/joanass jennings or Walter Jones(Seattle)/Joe Thomas(Cleveland)? That is the stumbling block in my mind.

The main reasons a player holds out before the season starts are 1) If he's a veteran, as long as he keeps in shape, a holdout in camp is no big deal-we've been there before with Thurman, Bruce, OJ etc. 2) No 2 a days-Bruce loved that part 3) Look at the economics-a player making $4 million (Peters' contract after reaching incentives) loses $250,000 a game. You have to miss a heck of a lot of practices before reaching $250,000. A camp holdout is less harmful to the player & the team.