Ron Paul's Convention

Heck, he's still sitting on almost $6 million in donations that he chose not to spend when the race was in question. As noted in the recent Washington Post article, he has about 10 family members still drawing paychecks from his campaign, and he's got a lot of book tour - err, campaign stops - to fund, but with November looming he needs to find a way to blow through the rest of the peoples money.

A big convention party is a good start.

It has been reported that he is dropping out imminently. He'll have almost $5 million left of the $30 million he raised - it will be donated to an advocacy group he is setting up called the Campaign for Liberty, an organization to support Republican Libertarians. As it's first act, since Paul is the standard-bearer in the throng of RL's, the Campaign for Liberty will pick up the tab for Paul's side-convention.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/St...6019&page=1

You do realize that this is pretty standard procedure, right? <_<

To only spend only half the money donated for your presidency campaign when the race is still competative, stay in the race to fund your book tours with the rest, leaving almost a fifth for your own foundation?

So *thats* what Clinton was up to all this time!

Seriously, my gripe is that a lot of people donated their money for him to run for president, not be a libertarian gadfly. He chose not to go all out in the springboard states despite having the cash. Other candidates went into debt for their shot - he chose to bank it. If he wasn't going to seriously contest Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina, he was just taking money from fools.

To only spend only half the money donated for your presidency campaign when the race is still competative, stay in the race to fund your book tours with the rest, leaving almost a fifth for your own foundation?

When was his race ever competitive?

And yes, its pretty common to put whatever surplus you have when you drop out of a race from a Presidential campaign toward a PAC, foundation, the national committee, or whatever else.

Seriously, my gripe is that a lot of people donated their money for him to run for president, not be a libertarian gadfly. He chose not to go all out in the springboard states despite having the cash. Other candidates went into debt for their shot - he chose to bank it. If he wasn't going to seriously contest Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina, he was just taking money from fools.

How nice of you to try to stand up for all those poor fools who donated to his campaign. <_<

Outside of a small delusional group of people, no reasonable person actually expected his campaign to win. Hell, I donated a small amount to his campaign, and I didn't expect him to win. It was more about declaring a base of support for the message than anything else. If he wants to start his "Campaign for Liberty" organization based upon the funds he raised, I have no problem with it, and I've seen no outcry from any other Ron Paul supporter either.

Stop trying to disguise an attack on the man as standing up for a bunch of poor fools.