The defense was painfully mediocre again today....

People need to B word and moan about something.  I bet secretly they want the Bills to lose so that they can say "see, I told you so" when it happens.

73617[/snapback]

So true, I've come across this type of BS more than a few times.

PS....people the Bills won, enjoy the win

Let's cut CVB some slack. I understand what he is saying. Actually, aside from the TKO INT return, the TEAM as a whole played horribly in the first half. Offense AND Defense.

Fortunately, something clicked in the second half, and the Bills offense AND defense came alive. In fact, I would call their goal line stand at the end of the 3rd quarter the turning point in the game. After that, they played lights out offense AND defense. Let's hope that we can look back and say that that goal line stand was the turning point of the season as well.

Perhaps if the Bills had performed in the whole game at the level they performed at in the first half one might reasonably label it a mediocre performance (though finding fault with an O which had not scored rather than with a D which had been outscored 10-7 would make a lot more sense).

However, when one judges and labels the Bills performance a a second half which saw them hold Miami to 35 total yards, saw them nullify getting beaten up by Morris and saw them get the bulk of their sacks and have one bad drive against them which they escaped only giving up 3 thanks to a goaline stand mediocre is simply a wrong assessment of the D performance today.

Perhaps we just have a semantic difference but in my mind there is excellent (which obviously this wasn't) on one end and pisspoor on the other end (which again obviously this wasn't.

An average performance is obviously in the middle, and mediocre I would put at below average. This Bills performance was obviously helped by the weather and was against a Miami O which is not very good, but I would say this performance while having obvious failings was a better than average performance.

A merely average performance does not hold the opponents to 36 yards net in a half, does not stack up 5 sacks, does not score a defensive TD, does not hold the opponent well below 20 points and generally doesn't win. There were failings which the Bills need to repair but to label this D performance merely mediocre simply strains credibility and undercuts the correct points in your posts.

The defense was very shaky in the first half and yet only gave up 10 points. The defense was fanfukkingtastic in the second half and almost pitched a shutout. How many yards did the Dolphins get in the entire second half? We scored a TD and gave up 13 points total. We had several sacks. They got a FG after a first and goal at the one. The Dolphins stink but this was still a very, very good defensive game. They gave up a net 6 points.

73300[/snapback]

They were more effective because they were hardly on the field in the second half. Other wise they would have given up a TD in the last two minutes of the game just like in the last two minutes of the first half.

Jerry needs to rethink his prevent defense scheme's

Perhaps if the Bills had performed in the whole game at the level they performed at in the first half one might reasonably label it a mediocre performance (though finding fault with an O which had not scored rather than with a D which had been outscored 10-7 would make a lot more sense).

73816[/snapback]

I agree, the defense started out with a lot of problems, though you have to give Spikes credit for the interception. They got better as the game went on, particularly after Sam Adams was pulled.

Since there is a rotation at all the line positions, I wouldn't be opposed to letting Edwards play a little at LDE, certainly not as a full time starter, but a change of pace player. He is arguably the most athletic of the DTs. I wouldn't want him to give up his regular job (DT) because he's needed to spell our aging starters.