2003's '08-'09 Bills Positional Lookout (QB for now)

QB

TRENT EDWARDS- Trent seems to be the future of the Bills at quarterback. Some Bills fans seem to be split between who should be the starting quarterback for our beloved Bills. Well, Trent Edwards is going to be the guy this year and many more for just one reason---intelligence. Both Edwards and Losman have the physical tools, heck, Losman may even have a "stronger" arm, but Edwards has Losman on all of the intangibles. Number 5 is smart, humble, and a superb leader. A prime example of this is both of their rookie years. During Losman's first training camp, he struck the veterans as a cocky rookie. We all know what happened next. During Trent's rookie year, all the first year quarterback did was impress. I even remember the day after the draft I vowed to myself to always respect Losman thinking that Edwards had no chance to steal the starting spot. Well, the more I saw of the two guys, the more I liked Trent. JP may have the power to throw the ball 70 yards through the air, but the dude just makes some stupid mistakes; he drops snaps, botches handoffs, fumbles the ball left and right, and, when under pressure, Losman tries to do too much. Edwards is the antithesis of Losman. The guy is cool and collective and does just what he needs to. When Trent faces pressure, he either completes a pass or throws the ball away. Yes, Trent may have thrown more interceptions than touchdowns last year, but I blame two things: his target's talent level and Steve Fairchild. A few of Edward's interceptions bounced of either the hands or the shoulder pads of his intended target (see Kawika Mitchell's td against the Bills). A few of his other interceptions are just a result of some boneheaded calls from the infamous Steve Fairchild. One play, regrettably, I think I will never forget. It was a Monday Night, against America's team, and the Bills had the ball in the red zone on a third down. Instead of just running to victory (literally, if they would have handed the ball off, Lindell could have just kicked a FG the next down and the Bills would have basically secured the game), Fairchild calls a pass play and Edwards threw an interception to Terrence Newman. This year, with more talent around Numero Cinco, things will change. Here is a quote from the USA today that really got me liking Trent:

"ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — Trent Edwards got veteran tight end Robert Royal's attention - and respect - the minute the rookie Buffalo Bills quarterback stepped into the huddle during practice Wednesday.

"First thing he said was, 'Fellas, let's go! No balls hitting the ground in 7-on-7 today,"' Royal said. "Coming from him, it kind of threw me off, like 'Whoa, hold up. That's what I need to hear."'

The pep talk worked, because Royal can't remember a pass falling incomplete during the session..."

RB outlook to come soon.

Well, Trent Edwards is going to be the guy this year and many more for just one reason---character.

Nice post. I think that "character" may be the wrong word here. I think "intelligence" is the reason. I think JP's character is not a problem.

Nice post. I think that "character" may be the wrong word here. I think "intelligence" is the reason. I think JP's character is not a problem.

good point... correction made.

JP may have the power to through the ball 70 yards through the air, but the dude just makes some stupid mistakes;

Nice Post. But I think that "through" may be the wrong word here. I think "Throw" is a better option here.