McKelvin's Special Teams Utility

you put your players in where they can make the greatest impact on the game.

if leodis can have hester like moments, he can change the game on a return. he's a natural at it, so he should avoid getting hurt.

deon was a natural at it too, never got hurt doing it really.

A funny Deion story - I ran into Murton Hanks' brother-in-law a few years back and he said that Deion used to play with five or six pairs of socks to conceal the actual size of his calves.

Are you guys really sure that you want to risk putting a #11 on return teams? I know that Nate at times returned kicks. Don't know his stats, but he did a great job. He was easily the most athletic guy on the team, but I held my breath watching in terms of injury risk.

Whitner is a pretty good tackler, but should he too be on the field for special teams? These guys get hurt an awful lot. It is one thing to lose Josh Stamer to injury. It is another to lose your top draft picks, especially when the guys we have are doing a good job.

Just thinking out loud..........

I don't think injury risk can be factored in. I used to think that way but a play is a play and I think more guys get injured on D or O than on ST's.

Should they really put a #11 pick out on the field to play defence at CB? those guys get hurt all the time too

Injuries happen, although I can't say that I remember hearing about alot of kick returners getting hurt running back kicks, or not more than any other position on the field. Injuries are a risk at any time. How many times did McGee or Parrish get hurt since they have been returning kicks with the Bills?

Should they really put a #11 pick out on the field to play defence at CB? those guys get hurt all the time too

Injuries happen, although I can't say that I remember hearing about alot of kick returners getting hurt running back kicks, or not more than any other position on the field. Injuries are a risk at any time. How many times did McGee or Parrish get hurt since they have been returning kicks with the Bills?

Not many, but one comes to mind. A guy nicknamed 'Juice' tore up his knee returning a kickoff vs. Cincy. Lost him for the year, IIRC..

Wasn't there a big deal when Jason Sehorn got hurt on special teams one year (one of the few where he was actually good)? You can't risk one of your star players on special teams. The chance of injury is there no matter where you are playing. The more plays you are involved in adds to fatigue. The more playing time + more fatigue = a bigger the risk of injury.

Years ago I remember one of the Bills coaches saying that the best kick returner that he has ever seen was Eric Moulds. The reason he brought it up is because our KR got hurt and they put in Moulds (starting WR at the time) who promptly ran the kick back for a TD. The next kickoff, Moulds was back on the bench. You can't risk hurting key players on Special Teams no matter how good they are. I know that Terence McGee is a key player but I think that is why they took him off of punt returns - to limit his chances of being injured. The same would go for McKelvin. You play the two Micks on kick returns (yes, I just made that up) and keep Roscoe as the punt returner.

Wasn't there a big deal when Jason Sehorn got hurt on special teams one year (one of the few where he was actually good)? You can't risk one of your star players on special teams. The chance of injury is there no matter where you are playing. The more plays you are involved in adds to fatigue. The more playing time + more fatigue = a bigger the risk of injury.

Years ago I remember one of the Bills coaches saying that the best kick returner that he has ever seen was Eric Moulds. The reason he brought it up is because our KR got hurt and they put in Moulds (starting WR at the time) who promptly ran the kick back for a TD. The next kickoff, Moulds was back on the bench. You can't risk hurting key players on Special Teams no matter how good they are. I know that Terence McGee is a key player but I think that is why they took him off of punt returns - to limit his chances of being injured. The same would go for McKelvin. You play the two Micks on kick returns (yes, I just made that up) and keep Roscoe as the punt returner.

Thats what I have said

The thing is, you can't be scared to play your best players at positions they excell at just because they could get hurt. Talk to the coaching staff, Special teams is just as important, and if you have one of the best return guys in the league, you don't take him off for a scrub just because you are afraid they could get hurt. The only time you might is if there is a backup who is just as good as the starter, like, lets just say Wendling was a great return guy, and just as good as McGee, you might decide to use Wendling first just because he is a backup