4th Round Selection 2: Derek Fine TE Kansas

Dan

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it worth, Fine's offensive coordinator at KU is one of Perry Fewell's best friends. Granted I admit it is a bit of a stretch to imply that we drafted an offensive kid based on his coordinator's relationship with our D-coordinator but you never know.

That seems to happen all the time....

Here's something to ponder, experts say Derik lacks upper body strenght ,yet in the combine he was a top performer in the bench press for TE. He also was tops in the 3 cone drill and 20 yds. shuttle. So although he's not a burner in the forty( 4.8 is still no dog for a TE ,,,see Malcolm Kelley WR 4.7)He is very quick and should be open and catching the ball in the red zone, and making those tough 3rd and 10 1st down catches .He has great hands, character, high motor and intangibles... sounds like a Bill to me.

I a Billiever, Derik will be OK.

Here's something to ponder, experts say Derik lacks upper body strenght ,yet in the combine he was a top performer in the bench press for TE. He also was tops in the 3 cone drill and 20 yds. shuttle. So although he's not a burner in the forty( 4.8 is still no dog for a TE ,,,see Malcolm Kelley WR 4.7)He is very quick and should be open and catching the ball in the red zone, and making those tough 3rd and 10 1st down catches .He has great hands, character, high motor and intangibles... sounds like a Bill to me.

I a Billiever, Derik will be OK.

Kelly runs a sub 4.6 when healthy....

4.8 is slow for a TE.... how many LB's run slower than that? Who's covering the TE? You want to have a mismatch at TE so the defense has to give the LB help or put a DB on him.... This kid is a 3-4 yard dump off kinda TE which is FINE, but I think everyone was hoping for someone who created mismatches and freed up underneath space.

Other than his lack of height and lack of speed, I really like the fact that he is a complete TE. He does seem to have quickness and agility.

I don't know what to think about this pick. I thought we were going to select a TE in the third round but instead we selected Ellis. By the time we pick Derek Fine, all the big name TE were already gone. So I guess they selected whoever was the highest on their board. If they would have selected a TE, they probably would not be able to get a decent DE. So if you want that pass catching TE that can stretch the field, there is another draft coming in 363 days.