Stem Cell

How much of a difference is there between embryonic and cordblood stem cells?

72210[/snapback]

My understanding is that it's pretty similar, only that umbilical cord SC wouldn't create problems in accepting the cells, b/c it's someone's own genetic cells.

Unfortunately, there's 250 million people walking around whose umbilical cord SC weren't saved, and it's not very common to save it currently either.... Theortically it's exciting for the future. But with the relative newness of this science, I think it's important to do testing with ALL of the types. We need to cover the bases b/c it will invariably come to pass that one or two types won't be useful for X disease, and then what do you say, "Oops"?

My understanding is that it's pretty similar, only that umbilical cord SC wouldn't create problems in accepting the cells, b/c it's someone's own genetic cells.

Unfortunately, there's 250 million people walking around whose umbilical cord SC weren't saved, and it's not very common to save it currently either.... Theortically it's exciting for the future. But with the relative newness of this science, I think it's important to do testing with ALL of the types. We need to cover the bases b/c it will invariably come to pass that one or two types won't be useful for X disease, and then what do you say, "Oops"?

72232[/snapback]

Embryonic stem cells are going to have someones genes also...It takes tow to make an embryo...Not trying to be a smart ass but all SC have some genetic makeup from two different people. I am pretty sure that there is not much difference between the two so why not use Cord see if you can make any gains and if you can it should transfere to embryonic cells ...IMO

Embryonic stem cells are going to have someones genes also...It takes tow to make an embryo...Not trying to be a smart ass but all SC have some genetic makeup from two different people.  I am pretty sure that there is not much difference between the two so why not use Cord see if you can make any gains and if you can it should transfere to embryonic cells ...IMO

72236[/snapback]

I think you're mind-effing this a little too much (one of my favorite words for overanalysis. Don't worry, I do that all the time :lol:).

In the common usage/treatment:

Umbilical cord SC do have the genetic make-up of two parents, but it's the exact genetic makeup of the child whose uc it was. Therefore, there's no chance of rejection of the cells if you use it to treat that person. That's what I meant.

Adult SC also come from one person's own exact cells to treat their disease for certain differentiated cell types they can get them from. No chance of rejection, but there are cell types where ASC cannot be gotten, which include some of the major ones like brain/nerve cells, heart cells, etc.

In the theoretical:

Embryonic SC are each seperate embryos that are cultured to replicate itself, and theoretically can turn into any kind of cell type (researchers have been able to differentiate ESCs into many cell types, like skin, heart cells, etc.). There would be a problem of rejection b/c in this case, it would not be the patient's own cells being used, it's the ones created from couples doing in-vitro fertilization. That's a problem researchers will be working on which I think they can solve.