4.) Miami

5.) Kansas City

The bottom 5 teams, or worst 5, were:

28.) Arizona

29.) Buffalo

30.) New Orleans

31.) Detroit

32.) Minnesota

We obviously need to improve our pass defense, and I think I heard we dropped from #7 to last year's #29 in just one year (someone can check that, I'm not sure). There are many reasons for this, some say it was a lack of a pass rush, some say our corners need work after losing Clements. This, of course, affects what we do in the draft, particularly with our first pick. It's no secret that the fan base on this board is split over whether or not to select a corner or improve in the trenches with a defensive end. I wanted to see the sack ratio of the teams with the top pass defense and compare the numbers to the bottom 5. I was almost positive the top 5 were also tops in sacks, but was surprised at the statistics.

The bottom 5 teams I mentioned above, actually had more sacks than the top 5 teams. Top 5: Tampa Bay (33 sacks), Indy (28 sacks), Pitt (36 sacks), (Miami (30 sacks) and KC with 37 sacks. The bottom 5 in pass defense were: Arizona (36 sacks), Buffalo (26 sacks), N.O. (32 sacks), Detroit (37 sacks), and Minnesota with 38 sacks. That is 164 sacks for the top 5 teams in pass defense, and 169 for the bottom 5 teams. Interesting.

Kind of surprised me. Also, the Giants, who had the most sacks in the NFL last year (53) weren't even in the top 10 in pass defense. That was also interesting to me.

I think we need to improve both our pass rush and our corners, but what do you think of this?

The top 5 teams in pass defense last year were as ranked:

1.) Tampa Bay

2.) Indianapolis

3.) Pittsburgh

4.) Miami

5.) Kansas City

The bottom 5 teams, or worst 5, were:

28.) Arizona

29.) Buffalo

30.) New Orleans

31.) Detroit

32.) Minnesota

We obviously need to improve our pass defense, and I think I heard we dropped from #7 to last year's #29 in just one year (someone can check that, I'm not sure). There are many reasons for this, some say it was a lack of a pass rush, some say our corners need work after losing Clements. This, of course, affects what we do in the draft, particularly with our first pick. It's no secret that the fan base on this board is split over whether or not to select a corner or improve in the trenches with a defensive end. I wanted to see the sack ratio of the teams with the top pass defense and compare the numbers to the bottom 5. I was almost positive the top 5 were also tops in sacks, but was surprised at the statistics.

The bottom 5 teams I mentioned above, actually had more sacks than the top 5 teams. Top 5: Tampa Bay (33 sacks), Indy (28 sacks), Pitt (36 sacks), (Miami (30 sacks) and KC with 37 sacks. The bottom 5 in pass defense were: Arizona (36 sacks), Buffalo (26 sacks), N.O. (32 sacks), Detroit (37 sacks), and Minnesota with 38 sacks. That is 164 sacks for the top 5 teams in pass defense, and 169 for the bottom 5 teams. Interesting.

Kind of surprised me. Also, the Giants, who had the most sacks in the NFL last year (53) weren't even in the top 10 in pass defense. That was also interesting to me.

I think we need to improve both our pass rush and our corners, but what do you think of this?

Draft - Quentin Groves DE/OLB Auburn at # 11 or move down and draft him either or. That will settle the pass rush problems along with the new signing of K Mitchell.

Interesting stats. All I know is this, the more you pressure the QB the better your defense is, sacks or no sacks. Pressure, pressure, pressure.

Don't believe me? Ask Tom Brady.

I agree.

I think it would be more interesting to see the QB pressure stats, because maybe those teams don't have many sacks but are putting pressure on the QB? Who knows.

Draft - Quentin Groves DE/OLB Auburn at # 11 or move down and draft him either or. That will settle the pass rush problems along with the new signing of K Mitchell.

I would love Groves, I think he's the best pass rusher in this draft.